[RESOLVED] Scandisk and defrag says not enough memory???

Thread: [RESOLVED] Scandisk and defrag says not enough memory???

homepc

Resolved [RESOLVED] Scandisk and defrag says not enough memory???

Each night I have a scandisk and defrag scheduled to run. This used to run just fine, but now I'm getting a message that I don't have enough free memory. I know this is not true. I have plenty of free memory and system resourses are at 90%. Why would I be getting this message now?

Thanks

Ray

are you sure is says memory and not enough space to run them? Check the root directory and make sure you have less than 256 files\folders in it.
    Dopey Is My Hero, the king of idiots, the mentors of morons.

Lightbulb

Sorry if this seems obvious, but what about disk space? Also, have you set your paging file to a fixed amount (1.5 - 2 x ram)?

homepc

Thanks for all your help, but I have plenty of disk space also....over 12GB! This just started happening. Rats.....

Ray

you know what, i was having this same problem on a bunch of new computers i was building. 80G hdds and 512M ram, and it reports out of memory. what a pile. I don't know what the problem is.

I was getting the error after running winstone. It runs a batch of tests, and then tries to run defrag before it reboots and restarts the tests. Perhaps a program was loaded into a certain area of memory that defrag likes to use, and didn't unload itself properly.

that's the only solution i can think of.

have you tried running defrag after a fresh reboot? that works for me. -tk

homepc

yes, I tried to run scandisk right after a reboot and got the same message. Then I tried to run scandisk right after booting up in safe mode....still the same message!! Rats!!!

Ray

SirSmackdown

Did you ghost your HDD? We had the same problems with drives over 15GB with our ghost image at my store.

CobraTekMax

Yeah, usually thos messages occur after ghosting to any drive over 15GB, since Ghost automatically allocates the drive in 4K clusters. (At least the version I'm using does). I've always used Partition magic to resize the clusters to 16 or 32K, and that straightens it out.

Hey Cobra, what version of partition magic? I have this problem also but never thought of that. I have partition magic 5, Hopefully that will help me out.

homepc

The hard drive is 20 GB, but I did not use
    Ghost on it. I loaded it from scratch. Thanks for all your help.....I'll keep looking.

Ray

homepc

AAAAaaahhhh!!!! wait!!! I DID use EZ Drive to duplicate my 15GB to my new 20GB hard drive. WOW!! Could that be it? I thought that it just started to do this, but maybe it just started after I changed drives! Hmmmmm

Ray