[RESOLVED] Computer Reboots when i scan for viruses!

Thread: [RESOLVED] Computer Reboots when i scan for viruses!

vandepas

Post Computer Reboots when i scan for viruses!

Hi i posted a message yesterday about my computer rebooting all the time and i was advised to remove my newly installed ram. I did that and the problem has NEARLY gone away. Now i have win 2000 up and running, but when I scan for viruses OR do anything that is extremely HDD intensive for more than a minute the computer reboots. This has happend every time I use the brand new version of norton to scan for viruses and everytime I tried to copy my MP3 library(3gb) to my new hard drive. I am suspect of my cheapo power supply. It is 250W and I have a voodoo3, 2 7200rpm HDDs, a CD burner, and my processor with fan(P3-450). Could this be a power suppply problem? Is my other 128MB of ram possibly bad? Maybe a virus? thanks greatly for all your help.

martin

I think you have probably hit on the problem. Reducing the amount of memory probably reduced the draw on the power supply just enough to reduce the random re-boot problem. Now you only get it during operations that increase the draw on the supply. I would definately replace the power supply with a 300W of quality manufacture.