Cannot Open Port error Message

Thread: Cannot Open Port error Message

Post Cannot Open Port error Message

I got this one (see subject) trying to reinstall an old winmodem in P166 NEC Ready 98??. Even if I went into the BIOS and disabled the comm ports, I would still the error message when I click on the "More Info"
    button in the Control Panel Modem Icon.
    What does it mean and how do I fix it?
    Thanks in advance!
    "While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior"

What programs do you have running? Sometimes a program will cause that problem too. Or maybe it's trying to take com5 and a lot of computers don't like it when they do that.

GLSmith
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

check that it is not sharing an irq with another device. This often causes the problem.

Well Guys, thanks for the help. I checked for conflicts-none, disabled startup programs-no help. Reinstalled with drivers off of Win98SE CD - no luck. Bought cheap ($30) PCI modem at Staples. Installed first time perfectly. Time wasted on winmodem, 5 hours minimum. Thank God I'm doing this upgrade gratis for a good customer. Have a good one... BY the way, the MS Knowledge base was not much help either. PC Guide said to not bother troubleshooting winmodems - I guess they were right!
    "While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior"

Some Winmodems have minimum requirments of 2333Mhz, if thats not it, buy a new one for $12 off Ebay, and save your energy for real problems.

There is no excuse to use WinModems anymore. You can get hardware-based modems for under $40 now. Do a search for "56K hard modem" (without the quotes) at the top of the www.pricewatch.com page. You will come up with several good choices.

A company called www.netseller.com has 33.6 US Robotics Hardware modems that come with the software to flash upgrade the modem to 56K for around $30.00. This is a great deal! You get one of the best modems made for little more than the price of a WinModem.

For a few bucks more, you can get a generic external modem, which by definition is hardware based. You get the added bonus of having pretty lights to watch & something else to dust.

Check out www.56K.com for more info on the evils of WinModems & much more.