[RESOLVED] WIN2000 and Video Problems

Thread: [RESOLVED] WIN2000 and Video Problems

Bert L. Friedman

Resolved [RESOLVED] WIN2000 and Video Problems

Since installing WIN2000 in a dual boot configuration with WIN98, I have had some strange and as yet un-solvable problems with my video! My setup is:
    600 coppermine, 256 cas2 PC100, ATIallnwonder 8meg PRO AGP, 2 VooDoo12 in scanline, D-Link nic, Shark Leopard 56k, Live Valu sound card,IBM 22 GXP, SOYO 6BA+IV,
    seagate 6.4.
    There are 2 distinct problems:
    1. When I boot to 2000pro I often have to reboot 2 to 3 times before I get a clean boot with regards to video. The video is mostly at the top of the monitor and unreadable. After performing a control alt delete and restarting (2 to 3 times) everything is fine.I am overclocking but have tried running normal clock speed with no change in this behaviour!
    2. When running WIN98 I am having some strange atifacts with video. I get what I would describe as a shimmering effect mostly on the left side of the monitor, everything just wiggles and jumps around and then all is fine. This is getting worse and I can't put my finger on the source of this problem.
    I have checked that I have the same IRQ usage for the 2 OSs and have tried everything I can think of! Help if You Can!

O_E_M

this is right from the readme on the win2k pro cd.

ATI-TV Tuner Video Cards Are Not Supported for Use With TAPI
    TAPI does not support the use of ATI video cards that incorporate TV tuners, including but not limited to ATI-TV, ATI-TV WONDER, and All-in-Wonder models. This will be addressed in a future release.

But it sounds like a driver problem or bad video card.Did you test the ati card on any other systems?

O_E_M

Disregard the win2k pro readme stuff has nothing to do with your prob.

Make sure you have the correct monitor listed in the device manager ..if you are using standard monitor...go to the manufacurer and try to download an update on the monitor you have "exact model"...or switch around and try to find a better match......after that I would check a right click on open part of desktop and look at properties and the settings tab ..you may think about loading your drivers from windows 98 again on your ati card...from windows 98 now I have some concern that windows 2000 has some limitations on the handling video so your hope is that this will straighten out your second problem...you may want to just reset configuration data in the bios too and not be so concerned trying to manupulate which irqs are being used on the video..my only other concern is with the 2voodoo scanline?/? I don't know what that is.... another video card ..if you are trying to use multiple monitors it will not work with windows 2000 the way I understand it..sorry about my product ignorance if it is additional video card you will have to uncheck the box in settings tab and run a single monitor..

spooky1

bert,
    your on the tech page, what kind of question is this! WINDOWS 95 IS NOT THE
    SAME OPERATING SYSTEM KERNAL AS WIN2000!
    WIN 2000 IS AN "NT" BASED OS AND IT WONT
    USE W95 DRIVERS! GEZZZZZzzz....give em
    books an all they do is eat the covers!

the way I understand..... it is that it is a dual boot configutation..then there should be no video problems with the win 98 as he describes and points me to the monitor selection....

okay and furthermore as i think the last post is suggesting win 2000NT should have picked up the drivers different on the ati all in wonder..they come from a section in NT not in win98 I don't see either one missing the drivers...and loading them wrong..myself..
    and I am not contradicting myself on reloading them in/from win98 because I don't trust ati..

now geeze from me.....while in win 2000 if you are using a disk to load the drivers I would "try" that and maybe manually and make sure they come from the NT section...the disk not from view all in win2000..

This way you may be able to see exactly how ati has set up the drivers visaviz what the disk is missing and why it doesn't work and how win2000 brings its functionality in ....there is a lack of knowledge with ati in that the company relies on everyone else to correct their problems and doesn't offer a complete product..although they have their copyright on drivers..... the drivers have to be adjusted by various companies,,,,,. they call it oem i call it a bad product...and a lowsy company...

If you don't have the disc I will send you what I have on it and manual install may help you narrow down the "problem"..You may need irc or something it is quite big...

[This message has been edited by physjcirl (edited April 19, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by physjcirl (edited April 19, 2000).]

Just something that hasn't been suggested: Have you tried a different monitor?

BTW - the cover of my Win2k Pro manual was delicious!

------------------
    Steve Taylor - Service Manager
    Altoplanos Information Systems, Inc.
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho USA
    www.altoplanos.net

[This message has been edited by stevet (edited April 18, 2000).]
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"