Red Hat Linux and Win modems

Thread: Red Hat Linux and Win modems

Cool Red Hat Linux and Win modems

I have a client that brought his Proprietary Home Brew machine in for me to install Red-Hat linux 6.0. Unfortunately his Opti Sound card and his On Board Lucent win modem are not supported. He claims that a friend of his has a similar machine with every thing working properly. Linux is installed but naturally the modem doesn't work. I told him before the install that I will not be able to make the modem work, and that software based "controllerless modems" are not supported by Linux or any other like operating system. He told me numerous times that his "friend" has an identical system that works, but can't supply any proof or tell me who installed his OS. He is asking for his money back. I told him that if he could offer proof that a system such as this exists I would give him his money back.

I am by no means a Linux expert, but I have been following and using the operating system for two years now. I have never heard of a software modem being used with Linux. I am pretty firm on my decision to hold the machine untill he shows proof or pays. I don't want to look stupid. I based my decision on a few hours of reasearch. (probably should charge for that too)

Any one have any suggestions? Unless there are any updates that I'm unaware of. Linux doesn't support soft modems. If the software does exist where should I go to find the answer?

Thanks in advance :|

------------------
    It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. -- Albert Einstein
    It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit. -- The average customer.
    [email protected]

[This message has been edited by gizmo1_1 (edited October 10, 1999).]
    It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. -- Albert Einstein
    It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit. -- The average customer.
    "There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home." – Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977 …….

[email protected]

Lightbulb

Try looking here for some help. They don't have a lot, but it should give you some ideas. http://linmodems.org

When I was a young man, Linux would have appealed to me. Back then, I really enjoyed hacking, but now the thrill is gone, just lazy I guess. I have some friends who have seriously played with Linux for quite some time, and they all tell me that your customer is blowing smoke. My professional opinion is that I don't know, but these guys say that there are lots of folks trying to write these drivers, and some are getting limited functionality on some modems. There is now no support for controllerless modems available anywhere according to these guys.
    To me it seems that it is no wonder that Linux never crashes, it ain't doing much.
    I'll just stick to Windows and keep bitching at Big Bill Inc. I guess

------------------
    Are we havin' fun yet?
    Are we havin' fun yet?