[RESOLVED] 4 cd rom drives in one month!

Thread: [RESOLVED] 4 cd rom drives in one month!

Eric Alexander

Post 4 cd rom drives in one month!

Allright here's the deal, this issue has been haunting me for a while now. What happens is my cd rom drive will not read any cd's. It doesnt even try and spin up sometimes, it just gives out "error reading drive" errors left and right, when it does read, its sloooooooowwwwwwwww, and during installs of programs, it freezes my system, and sometimes makes explorer not respond in close program manager. I have cleaned the cd rom numerous times, and i have replaced the drive 4 times, with different brands of cd roms, gone from a 42 x, to a 24x, to 8x to a now a 32 x. The drives work for about 2 weeks fine, then start to die on me. I have a master and a slave drive on my primary ide and the cd rom is a master on the secondary ide controller. The motherboard is a boardrunner 5mvp3 via chipset, super 7 motherboard, 1 meg cache, agp 2x, amd k6-2 300 3d now. 80 megs of 100mhz sdram. So far for this and other issues, with my system, I have updated the bios, adjusted bios settings, made sure the secondary ide controller was transmitting data through another hd, I fdisked both hd's and formatted them, reinstalled windows 98 se, downloaded updated drivers for my motherboard, verified jumper settings.... Adjusted settings in windows cd properties, i have auto disconnect checked, auto insert notification, i have toggled between dma's on and off to see if it helps, still no success. What im wondering is if any one has gone through this with this motherboard, could my secondary ide be thrashing my cd roms? Im curious to see what other techs have to say on this,i get some pretty good tips from work, but none have solved this re-occuring issue. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

Eric

I would load BIOS setup defaults to see if that helps,

also try slaving it to the master HDD and putting a HDD on the secondary port.

Try replacing the ribbon strap,

make sure you are using the MASTER jumper position on the CDROM when on the secondary
    IDE

Good Luck,

Charlie

"Oh Bother," said Pooh, as Windows crashed for the umpteenth time.

just a quick question.after the 2 weeks is that cd still no use on another machine?
    ie shows same fault.

I have had a powersupply cause the same problem. Check the voltages, make sure they are correct. If they are too high problems will arise. Also check your Powersupply fan. Excessive heat can cause these symptoms also
    It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. -- Albert Einstein
    It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit. -- The average customer.
    "There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home." – Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977 …….

[email protected]