[RESOLVED] Making a bootable Windows 2000 CD

Thread: [RESOLVED] Making a bootable Windows 2000 CD

bruce24

Post Making a bootable Windows 2000 CD

Hi -

As you probably know, the Windows 2000 and Windows NT CD's are bootable. If I set my BIOS to boot from the CD Rom, the CD boots and the iinstall process begins.

I have Windows 2000 Pro and would like to copy the CD since I have a habit of scratching my CD's (for some reason, only the expensive ones seem to get scratched!).

I use Easy CD Creator V4.02d. There is a process to make the CD bootable, but it doesn't run the setup program and involves putting a DOS system on the CD. The Windows 2000 CD does not have the DOS system files on it. Besides, Adaptecs' method will simply make my CD the A: drive.

I tried Imaging the Windows 2000 CD to no avail. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bruce Tyler

I'm not sure I understand what your problem is. Just use the disk copy option in your EZ CD Creator--the copy works exactly like the original. I never use originals, I make a copy and put the original away in a safe place (too many disks seem to grow legs or something). My backup of W2k boots and installs just fine.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

bruce24

I'll give that a try. Thanks.

BTW, to clear up what I was (am) trying to say is that the only way to get my copy of Win2K to boot from the CD ROM is to put a dos boot disk in drive A and use the 'make bootable' option in Easy CD Creator. The CD boots to an A: prompt. I then have to log onto the drive letter I designated in MSCDEX and run WINNT.EXE from i386 durectory on the CD whereas the Win2000 CD boots and starts the install process automatically.

bruce24

Thanks for the help on my question. Your solution worked perfectly. Sorry to sound so 'dumb'. I never made a bootable CD before. I would have liked to have been able to add some files to the CD (Service Pack1 and 128bit encryption pack) but Easy Cd Creator closes the after the copy.

I did try to copy the CD contents to the hard disk (and add the extra files mentioned) and then add everything to the layout, but the CD didn't boot.

Again, thanks.

Bruce Tyler