Which Cable Modem Do You Recommend?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which Cable Modem Do You Recommend?

Post Which Cable Modem Do You Recommend?

I plan on getting broadband service soon and plan on buying the modem instead of leasing it from ATT. What brand/model do you suggest? I'm partial to 3Com products, but I would consider something else if it had a good reputation. On <a href="http://www.techbargains.com" target="_blank">www.techbargains.com</a> they have a Motorola SB4200 for $59 after $30 rebate (plus shipping). That sounds reasonable. Also, do you have any preferance between a cable modem that connects via a NIC versus a USB port? Thanks in advance for your help.
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones

Registered User Stanley_Kubrick's Avatar

Thumbs down

Pinnacle, DON'T DO IT!!!!

At&t will begin anal intrusion of its' customers trust, possibly as soon as July, by giving modem owners a piddly 2 dollar discount on their monthly bill.

So a $150 modem at $2 a month credit would take you like six years to break even on...

(edit)oh, heheh i didn't fully process how much you were getting that modem for; i guess for 60 bucks it could be worth it....
    Jesus Saves.

Gretzky recovers... He shoots... HE SCORES!!!

I would recommend renting the modem, you save yoruself a LOT of hassel.

If you buy a modem, then if the modem breaks down, YOU are responsible. If yo urent, you pay a premium, but then the ISP is responsible.

Also, you can only buy the modem if the network is DOCSIS compliant. If it's not, don't even bother looking.

Also, your commiting to using the Cable ISP where ever you go. If cable get's bad in yor uarea, and you want to change to DSL, you don't have that option unless you spend loads of dollars.

Now for personal experience. I've worked with the RCA Thonmson and the Ericsson Piperider... both seem to be OK modems.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Matridom:
    <strong>... Also, you can only buy the modem if the network is DOCSIS compliant. If it's not, don't even bother looking...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">If it's what? I'm not familiar with DOCSIS. ATT lists compatible modems on their website for people who decide to buy, so I assume there is not a technical problem with this.
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Pinnacle:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Matridom:
    <strong>... Also, you can only buy the modem if the network is DOCSIS compliant. If it's not, don't even bother looking...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">If it's what? I'm not familiar with DOCSIS. ATT lists compatible modems on their website for people who decide to buy, so I assume there is not a technical problem with this.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification.

look here <a href="http://www.cablemodem.com/downloads/sp-cmci-i05-001215.pdf" target="_blank">DOCSIS</a>

Basicly it's an emerging standard for cable modems. If your website is listing some, then stay among those, but i'm willing to bet that if you look throught the documention i'm sure you see that they are all DOCSIS certified.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

I bought a SB4100 when I first signed up for AT&T service in my new house. I got the modem for $75 a few months ago and it saves me $10 per month on the bill for owning it. I would suggest buying it. In a little over half a year, you'll be ,making a decent savings. I haven't heard anything about AT&T reducing their discount to people who own their modems to only $2 a month (which means they'd be jacking up the service charge for modem owners around 17%). I believe it's worth it. Motorola is what brand I use.
    A good friend will bail you out of jail, but your best friend will be the
    one sitting next to you saying,"That was f~@&ing awesome!"

Cool

Cable One supplies all customers with a free modem. They supply the Motorola sb4100. It accepts USB or ethernet. The USB connection requires drivers to be installed, therefore is less reliable. Use an ethernet card. <a href="mailto:[email protected]" target="_blank">[email protected]</a>

I have had at least 3 cable modems so far. I haven't had to shell out for any of them as I rent. So usless you are rolling in dough, I reccommend you do the same.
    When in doubt, blame the sales department!

I've got several friends with Cable Modem access to a local ISP. They all use the RCA cable modem, and haven't had a problem. Very simple to set up, if you want to configure it yourself. There are a few of them who had the ISP techs come install it for them (not all of my friends are techies, just most of them)
    "The Force is with you young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet...."

There shouldn't be any reason to be going through multiple modems unless you're prone to power surges or you're buying garbage modems. You should have a surge supressor in-line with all of your expensive electronic equipment as a precaution. I've known people that have blown up cable modems, stereos, garage door openers, etc... because there wasn't a surge supressor implemented. Just a few months ago, my brothers house was struck by lightning and shot his keyboard off of the kitchen table. He's now slowly replacing component by component after that expensive lesson.

Anyway, On a side note....

Fubar: I just realized you're from Smyrna, Georgia. Thats the US home of Glock Firearms! Do you know where the plant is? Is it a big place?
    A good friend will bail you out of jail, but your best friend will be the
    one sitting next to you saying,"That was f~@&ing awesome!"

This community actually now has Cable Modem access after a long battle for the control of the wire access..and as installers of the service under contract with the local cable company, we don't find much difference between any of the compatible modems, but we do find reliability and data transfer problems with USB connections..so, for what it's worth, whichever kind you buy or rent, go with a NIC for reliability.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

I used to do tech support for a cable ISP. The modems that gave us the least troubles were Motorola surfboards (DOCSIS ones), and RCA ones. The ones causing the worst problem were the Com21 modems

california, where anyone can be governor!

i bought a linksys and it has already paid for itself, no problems, speedy. i think it is worth it.

i have seen them as low at $79 now. thats only 8 months to break even.

Mustang

The linksys, RCA, and Surfboard modems are all very good modems to get.

I work for a cable internet providor and have seen no problems with any of those.

Also if you wait until the next version of the linksys modem comes out it will be in the same case as thier routers which makes them stackable and therefore they take up less space.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Stanley_Kubrick:
    <strong>...At&t will begin anal intrusion of its' customers trust, possibly as soon as July, by giving modem owners a piddly 2 dollar discount on their monthly bill...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was in Best Buy yesterday and asked them about this. They said their ATT rep was in on Friday and did not mention anything about this coming up. Of course, this may not mean much. If ATT does plan on doing this, they probably will not tell their re-sellers until right before it goes into effect. The rates they told me were $35/month if I own a cable modem, and $45/month if I rent one.