Issue with WIN 2000

Thread: Issue with WIN 2000

Post Issue with WIN 2000

I have a customer who has WIN 2000 installed. Everything works, but he has no icon for 3 1/2 Floppy. It is enabled in bios (floppy controller & floppy 1.44} It will boot off the floppy. In WIN 2000 it is set up in device manager {controller & standard floppy} I've tried the drive in another computer and it works. Changed cables & mini plug.Updated all drivers and WIN 2000. Ran on-line virus check. It is WIN 2000 PRO. Is there a setting in WIN 2000 that would cause this?? What am I missing? Would it be a legacy device and WIN 2000 doesn't want to deal with it? Some specs: 512 Ram, 1.8 GHz AMD biostar MB, Creative sound card, DVD, CD-RW, 60 GB HD.I would like to hear some suggestions or info on WIN 2000 Tomorrow I am going to flash the bios.

Thank-You

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar

Boy, that's an odd one. Is the drive or controller disabled in dev manager?
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||

No, they are set up correctly (controller & drive) I deleted them and reinstalled. I also have reinstalled WIN 2000. I just know I am missing a setting, but what? I admit that I don't know enough about WIN 2000..

Did you try a different cable?

Try a new drive.
    Indeterminism. There's nothing you can do about it.

I may be off here but a couple of thoughts:
    Is the floppy drive accesable in safe mode?
    Have you checked that the administrator has not disabled access to the drive?
    Enable boot logging and look for anything odd.

This is what I was thinking...
    <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q231289" target="_blank">Using Group Policy Objects to Hide Specified Drives in My Computer for Windows 2000 (Q231289)</a>

Can you boot to it with a boot disk ? Sorry, should have read closer. I see it now.
    "Don't be so humble - you are not that great." - Golda Meir

Use tweak ui, on the My Computer tab, I think. Its the page with all the drives listed with the check boxes next to them.

If it shows the drive as being shown, remove it, reboot, then put it back.

I have had the same problem before and that took care of it.
    Those who do not know, are lost...

mine was a cdrom though
    Those who do not know, are lost...

Thank-You everyone. I was told that Win 2000 will not support that type of floppy (older}. I don't really believe it, but thr customer did get a second opinion and this tech seemed like he knew Win 2000. So at this time I will accept this and he can take over. I need more hands on with Win 2000 before I can argue. Most of my customers are Win 98 home users. Has anyone else heard of this? Thank-you again...

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Tkcomputer:
    <strong>Thank-You everyone. I was told that Win 2000 will not support that type of floppy (older}. I don't really believe it, but thr customer did get a second opinion and this tech seemed like he knew Win 2000. So at this time I will accept this and he can take over. I need more hands on with Win 2000 before I can argue. Most of my customers are Win 98 home users. Has anyone else heard of this? Thank-you again...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think you have been snowed. But I could be wrong...

Banned

quote :I was told that Win 2000 will not support that type of floppy (older}. ,,,

3 and a bit (1.44) is the "latest" (in use in the western world) ,,,had it have been a 720k (3 and a bit) or a 360 , 5 and a bit then i could understand.

i,ve just looked at my floppy (in explorer on 2k) and yes its a 1.44 ,,

i think somebodys pulling your ding-a-ling,

FTF

Angry

I definatly smell bacon here,
    I had a new 31/2" [1.4Mb]and an older 5"[1.2Mb]floppy drive in a dual W2K/98 system with no problem accessing drives in either OS.

You say "I was told that Win 2000 will not support that type of floppy (older}."

Well, that's just a fancy expression for "I'm a tech that doesn't know much, and can't figure out your problem so I'm giving you the bullsh*t brushoff in hopes you'll believe it and go away."