[RESOLVED] modem and pci slot

Thread: [RESOLVED] modem and pci slot

tonyg279

Post modem and pci slot

I need help i am running a computer under windows 98 and i have a 56k modem, the other day i tried to install a new adsl modem in one of my free pci slots, i did and to my surprise it came out with a conflict under system devices, i uninstalled the adsl modem and took out my 56k modem and then installed the dsl modem in the pci slot that was using my 56k modem, everything came out nice, just to see if something was wrong i installed the 56k modem again but no in the slot that it was using before since this slot now belongs to the adsl modem, the 56k modem installed perfectly but when i went to control panel, clicked modems and then click the diagnostic tab and then more info, windows tells me that the modem can not be found , and the square that is suppose to come out with the modem driver details comes out blank. can some one please tell me what the hell is grong.

thank you.

Smartass

Welcome to the wonderful world of windows

Shared slots maybe? Check your tech manual for the mudderboard.

------------------
    Don't take life too seriously -- It isn't permanent

www.protechpc.com
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall internet the world

NH_Snowman

My guess is that the PCI serial enumerator did not install properly. This should show up in Device Manager. You can try removing the modem and when it starts to install a driver for the device it finds direct it towards the PCI Modem enumerator. It should be in your windows\system folder but you can also get it from the driver cd from your modem. Once this step is complete it will tell you that it found a 56K modem.

Andrew

I agree with the last two posters. I have played magical slots with pci cards before. Some cards will work better shared than others. One thing you can try is if you are not using both COM ports, disable one, remove it and the modems from the device manager and reboot. It might sort out the mess.

------------------
    I might rock, but I am not made of stone!