[RESOLVED] ME upgrade

Thread: [RESOLVED] ME upgrade

tlaspia

Resolved [RESOLVED] ME upgrade

with full version of ME what is the setup
    switch to upgrade win98

There is no switch to upgrade from a full version ME to Win 98 or From Win 98. If you want to upgrade from Win98 to Windows ME then the ONLY way to do it is to buy an UPGRADE version of Windows ME.

normally the full versions of the newer MS OSes give you the option to upgrade. for example i have a full w2k and when i insert the CD it asks me if i would like to upgrade (my win98 install/fat32 partition) to win2k.

i havent fooled w/ ME so i could be wrong. but id try going to DOS, switching to the CD-ROM driver and typing "setup /?" minus the "". that will give you all the switches.

------------------
    prompt$p$g [dos = elite]
    prompt $p$g [dos = elite]

shawnMt

I tried renaming win.com, and several other things but no go.

------------------
    Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted

Paint your old laptop!

[This message has been edited by shawnMt (edited August 26, 2000).]

shawn why didnt the rename of win.com work? what happens if you "unsys" the drive(ie: delete/rename command.com and boot off a ME boot disk then load the CD ROM drivers)? then run the upgrade?

in my dealings w/ win2k and how the full version will also upgrade a 98 box...i dont see why the full version of ME wouldnt upgrade the 98.

------------------
    prompt$p$g [dos = elite]
    prompt $p$g [dos = elite]

shawnMt

Got it to work

I deleted command.com, and still got the "you already have an operating sytem" error. Then I deleted msdos.sys and a few other system files, had to delete win386.swp to free up space on the 1.2 gig I was using but it worked. Everyhting still intact and working. You da man skut - I tried it agian because of your "unsys the drive" comment. It's now VERY late and I'm about 1/2 a crawl away from the bed but I had to post this...

------------------

Paint your old laptop!

Smile

I've heard of freak incidents when MS software won't upgrade by the usual tricks i.e. renaming the win.com. I was able to "upgrade" my copy of 98SE to ME by renaming the win.com. reasons that this didn't work for you: A)maybe something freakie bout your system B)its Microsoft, their products are like physical derivatives of the Chaos Theory, who knows what they are going to do.

Tony

[This message has been edited by thirdfey (edited August 27, 2000).]
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Darren Wilson

I recieved my first batch of ME this week and performed the upgrade form 98SE to ME with no glitches!. All I done was to insert the ME (OEM Full Version) into the drive from within 98 and it done the relevant itself.

BTW the Build number ( 4 90 3000) of the Full Version was identical to the last Beta I got from MS??? Very strange yes????

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

For a different ' angle ' on life visit my NEW homepage @ The Carpers Lodge - The UK's No.1 Non-Commercial / Independant Carp Angling Website

shawnMt

Maybe that was my problem all along. I'm using the ME Preview disk they give you at MS System Builder Conference. My roomate went to the 1 in Atlanta last week. It is a full version though - just not a retail or OEM full version. My first real copy of ME should be here this week

------------------

Paint your old laptop!