[RESOLVED] Gigabyte MB with VIA chipset, PIII and Video Excel Video - freezes and restarts.

Thread: [RESOLVED] Gigabyte MB with VIA chipset, PIII and Video Excel Video - freezes and restarts.

Jono

Wink Gigabyte MB with VIA chipset, PIII and Video Excel Video - freezes and restarts.

I have a Gigabyte MB with the VIA chipset running a PIII 667 chip and a 32 MB TNT2 Video Excel graphics card.

The MB didn't like the Diamond Viper 16 MB card that was installed initially and since then has been running well for over 6 months.

Now however - while on the internet especially, the system freezes up with red lines across the top of the screen. Then Windows restarts without even going to a blue screen.

Do you think there is a problem with the MB, the card or is Windows corrupted in some way?

I have built systems similar to this without a hitch. Would be good to have some light shed on the isssue.

J J Pav

With the red lines I'd think the video card first, but try safe mode. If it comes good, the video driver may be corrupted.

The system I just fixed (old Gigabyte M/B) had picture corruption and random re-booting, was faulty M/B (bus controller I'd say).

Fault-finding these things is always a process of elimination.