[RESOLVED] Your Comments Please

Thread: [RESOLVED] Your Comments Please

drizzle

Resolved [RESOLVED] Your Comments Please

Not really sure if this goes here but:

For over three years I've worked for local repair shops on everything from printers to laptops to various home & business systems. Only four months ago, I started working at my current job. I'm in the IS department now for a communications contracting company--working mainly on laptops. I'm putting in about 55/60hrs/week and I'm starting to realize that I'm not enjoying the work. I don't feel that I'm actually using my best skills. I would love to go back to doing repair work on PCs but I just couldn't bear going back to work for someone else. If i'd do it-it would have to be on my own. What I would like to do is start the business out of my home-doing on-site repair/upgrades/etc for mostly businesses & some home users. I've always had companies request me for return work and that was one of the coolest things...
    Anyway, what I want to know is if there is anyone else out there that is/was in a similar situation as mine, and what you did? I know several ways of obtaining customers but I'm wanting to know how other people have done it, and any type of suggestions that you all may be able to pass on to it.

And the final thing that makes me want to go back and do this on my own is because there really isn't anyone/place in this town that does quality work!

Sorry that this post is soooo long it's just something i've been meaning to get around to.

texasred

Wink

working for your self can be rewarding ,
    but i would have to ask you this
    can you live on 1\3 of what you make ?
    becuse for the first year that will be about it..i work for a internet service now becuse i did not plan ahead /bottom line
    you will have times when you wont work for 2 months at a time but if you plan for that
    and dont expect to make good money for the first year or so you will make it
    p.s. your customers will come to you if your a good tech .

mitchbryant

Exclamation

I worked for a person who initially only had hisself as a tech - he spent alot of time doing other things than just tech work...

Get some advice from a CPA - you are now you own accounting, IRS tax paer and everything.

Good luck.

rrsjr

Forget a CPA. All they are is trouble. I know what you are going through. I was fired after 1 yr. of hard work tring to make the company I worked for the best computer service center in the area. I was fired for basically knowing more about businees than the owner. They said, "I don't play (WORK) well with others." I started my own company and I am much happier know. Yes I might not have the customer base that I had when I worked for ???? company. I also had true customers that always requested me and wanted no-one else. Unless You signed a non-compitation clause, or even if U did screw it. Those people are your customers. let them make the choice of who they want to support them.

You are your own boss. but look into the finance options, but don't trust a CPA, ask another business pro, maybe someone you have worked on there computer and also a possible future client. CPA's are bad and can ruin your life. + they don't care about you only your money.

X-SLaYeR

Lightbulb

I was also fired after a year of faithful service at the local computer shop for knowing more than the owner (what's up with these technicaly impaired owners anyway?)
    And over the summer I placed an ad in the local newspaper under Classified Business and the day it was printed i started getting calls for service. So I did house calls (charged accordingly) and used a portion of my basement as a tech bench and made quite a bit of spending money. Since that didn't make my parents too happy to see their basement transform into a computer repair depot, I was forced to set that aside and I am now working for a Fortune 100 Bank doing field tech work. I still do various odds and ends for my buddies, but I simply do not have the time. If I was to do it over again (and I will, believe me) I will have a better plan going into it on how to manage cost v. profit and charge accordingly. Not to make a killing, but enough to cover my losses, and eventually the money will come as the word of mouth and adertising grows.
    Start small and work your way bigger to minimize losses and keep things in check.

Bogeyman

Cool

With all due respect to rrsjr, that's pretty bad advise about not using a CPA. That's like saying all doctors are pill pushers, and they don't know what they are doing. It is absolutely essential that you set up proper accounting procedures from day one, for many reasons. Cost control, profitablility, inventory,and most importantly, TAXES. If you want to hire employees at some point, it's critcal to know how to set up the payroll and handle deductions, taxes, Social Security, and so forth. You also need an attorney's advise if you plan to lease premises or equipment. Do it right from the start- it's money well spent.

Wink

Drizzle:

You know how it is to have a lawyer or accountant try to repair their own computer. Pure trouble. The same thing usually occurs when a techie person attempts to do their jobs. A technical type who is also a good businessman is a rare bird. Stick to what you are good at, and hire good people to do what they do best. This can mean the difference between success and failure.

A good CPA can get you off to a rolling start AND keep you out of trouble with the tax man. These folks can provide priceless advice on how to manage your money. He/she can also help you develop a good business plan, which is vital if you need financing at any time.

A good attorney can cut red tape for you and get things done that you simply will not have the time, or expertise, to do (you'll need to spend your time working on computers). Both are money well spent.

------------------
    Are we havin' fun yet?

[This message has been edited by Grafman (edited November 21, 1999).]
    Are we havin' fun yet?