Overclocking

Thread: Overclocking

Question Overclocking

Maybe someone could help me out. Why overclock? What is the point? Why risk burning out a chip? I use to race cars and I know the thrill of tweaking but I got trophies and money for it. Why are people overclocking 475 chips to get them to run 500 when a 500 is a few dollars more. If you wreck the first chip and have to replace it then you are out more than you would have been if you had bought the slightly faster chip. Just curious, thats all.

------------------
    I always do what the voices in my head tell me!

I have a question for you.
    Why climb a mountain?
    Because it's there!

------------------
    Who needs a life, I have Internet!
    members.cnx.net/reboot

Who needs a life, I have Internet! <a href="http://members.cnx.net/reboot/" target="_blank">Jim & Sue's Free Files</a> | <a href="http://reboot.8m.com" target="_blank">Jim's Modems</a> | [email protected]

Angry

Heck...I just love bragging about my system. I've got 2 Celery 366s overclocked to 450 apiece. Talk about a whizbang system! It sits on my desk in my den, looks sweet, has fittyleven fans and a piece of custom plexiglass so you can see it all! It's a great gaming rig. I take it to Quakematches my friends & I have at our office. So I could've spent another $150 and gotten a pair of Celery 500s. That's not the point! It's a challenge, so do it. If it's not for you, then it's not, eh?

------------------
    ...and the only time we chill is when we kill each other. It takes skill to be real, time to heal each other.

- Tupac Amaru Shakur -
    "What would anybody want with a blind dog?"

Robert J Smith

Hey where all hot rodders at heart
    I overclock for the same reason
    my camaro has a big block in it

------------------
    I don't know what I am doing, I just look like I know what I am doing

Point well made! I never gave bragging rights a consideration. Guess I should have thought of that while I waxed a 4000 dollar paint job.

Thanks guys!

------------------
    I always do what the voices in my head tell me!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WinKrushR
    Heck...I just love bragging about my system. I've got 2 Celery 366s overclocked to 450 apiece. Talk about a whizbang system! It sits on my desk in my den, looks sweet, has fittyleven fans and a piece of custom plexiglass so you can see it all! It's a great gaming rig. I take it to Quakematches my friends & I have at our office. So I could've spent another $150 and gotten a pair of Celery 500s. That's not the point! It's a challenge, so do it. If it's not for you, then it's not, eh?

------------------
    ...and the only time we chill is when we kill each other. It takes skill to be real, time to heal each other.

- Tupac Amaru Shakur -

is it still runnin , or did u burn the cellys out?

Quote Originally Posted by freddy
    is it still runnin , or did u burn the cellys out?

lol dunno about him but my ran great for 3.5 years til lthe board gave out. The chip themselves still run great. (366 at ~500 mhz) as a server no less.

~Chris