Athlon PSU Lies? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Athlon PSU Lies?

Read my topic (link I have mentioned in my post above).
    Hope this help You choose good power supply.
    Good luck!

Any electric motor will draw far more current while starting than when it's up to speed, as will the capacitors in the system when they are turned on. A good power supply will be able to maintain a constant voltage during these momentary high current draws. The problems occur if the voltage drops substantially when, for instance, three harddrives and two CDROMS fire off at the same time. If the CPU voltage drops too low (or any other critical device voltage), data can become corrupted or the system can become unstable.
    A quality power supply with large capacitors and good voltage regulation will be capable of maintaining constant voltage during these crucial moments. The constant power draw of all the components is never anywhere near the rating of the power supply because you need this reserve.
    Bottom line is that it's quality, not just quantity that counts. A 300 watt power supply is generally more capable of maintaining voltage than a 250 under severe conditions but only if it is properly designed and built with good components. I've had cheapo ones fry and take out the mainboard so they weren't exactly cheap at all.