Modem not working

Thread: Modem not working

Post Modem not working

I am building a new system for one of our clients. Here are the specs:

P4 2GHZ, MSI 645 ULTRA MB, 512MB DDR, Raeon 7500, ATI TV WONDER, Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum, trendnet 10/100 lan card, 56k data/fax/modem. comes with 60gb drive, a dvd and a cdrw.

the problem is when i use dial-up networking, i can connect to the isp but i get no data transfered or received. (on initial connection it only shows packets received: 300 & packets sent: 400). when i connect to the internet using LAN, i can browse fine. only messed up when i use dialup.

what i have done: i removed and reinstalled dialup networking, i have removed and reinstalled modem drivers, i have rearranged the pci cards into different slots. i have tried a new modem... but still get same problem.

please help. =)

advanced thanks!!!

sounds like your software/drivers are faulty or the settings are off .. i would find out if the settings are off or not working .. sometimes setting things to high may cause it to not work ..

and check and see if its sharing irqs something thats being used like the soundcard or something it might sound strage but you never know
    Life is like a bowl of rotten cherries that molden over

Jvaguy lists some good points, but there are more.

What os is running on this computer???

What is the brand of the modem.

The phone line you are using to test the modem with, does it share with more than 1 phone. If there is, that can sometimes cause errors, very rare though.

Who is the ISP you are trying to connect to?

Make sure you have the latest modem drivers for it. Sometimes it will correct certain issues.

You mention you can connect to the internet using lan and yet not with the modem. The internet explorer program only works with one type of internet connection at a time. May sure internet explorer is set to work with a dialup connection.

Another possibility, the modem doesn't like to work the isp's connection. Try a different modem like a USR.

Where I work and live, we have people living in the rural areas where the main option for internet for them is dialup. The phone lines in the rural areas aren't the greatest. They are very prone to interruptions, low modem speeds, and connectivity problems.

Solution to that, use a Usr hardware based PCI modem or compatible. I haven't had any problems with Rural customers since.

Hope this helps.

All the points above are good..two questions: have you tried pinging an address when connected? also, if using WinXP try setting all security settings to lowest and make sure the firewall is shut off on the dial up connection. The dial-up ISP we use here in the shop for testing will check their server logs for us and give us the error messages that their server generates when we have problems like this. Saves us no end of searching.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."