System Builders

Thread: System Builders

Post System Builders

On the microsoft preinstalltion kit do you have to buy a liscense for each pc that you have.

One of the guys at the shop wants to start using it but we want to make sure were legal before we do.

Cool

a legal copy of the software is required for each machine the software is loaded on.

Registered User Stanley_Kubrick's Avatar

Are you are talking about the OEM Preinstallation Kit that you get when you buy packs of OSes? You will need liscences for all the machines you build, but you can run them in audit mode without having to activate them or enter the product key...

We use the OPK here for XP builds and once you get the bugs worked out, it is real easy. Just plug into the network, put in ywer OPK disc and yer winbom floppy and boot... no interention required.....
    Jesus Saves.

Gretzky recovers... He shoots... HE SCORES!!!

talking about the opk we are wanting to use that but they biggest problem we have is that we work for a school district and microsoft is being a pain about using it. They said that we have to prove that we need the software.

Unfortunately, OPK is mainly intended for authorized computer resellers like Compaq, Dell, or smaller computer shops like where I work at.

I use OPK for winxp and win2kpro builds over the network and use a preload floppy disk for win98se or winme.
    Load the proper drivers, other software and updates under audit mode, then reseal, box up the computer and apply the license number sticker onto the computer.

I can understand how useful this would be for your network Ebra, but Microsoft is very fussy.
    I hope you can get it.

If you setup an account through a computer parts supplier, you can buy oem copies of the o/s's like winxp or win2k and they usually come with an OPK cd. You won't need it for win98 or winme as you can create it a preload disk.

Here's a link to try.

<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/oem/" target="_blank">http://www.microsoft.com/oem/</a>