[RESOLVED] cd-rw not accessible, incorrect function??

Thread: [RESOLVED] cd-rw not accessible, incorrect function??

GianT

Question cd-rw not accessible, incorrect function??

I have a memorex cd-rw 4224. an oldie but a goodie. The latest problem is that when I try to read from it I get the error message that it's not accessible , incorrect funciton. I have tried rebooting, reinstalling, new drivers, even kicking.
    The drive icon appears in "my computer" and the device manager says it's working perfectly. I'm running Win 2K.
    Any ideas???

StevePorter

Lightbulb

Yeah, it sounds like your CD drive (or cable or IDE controller) is ka-put. Did you try switching the drive to another location (e.g., from secondary master to secondary slave) and see if the IDE controller is the problem? The only really good test is to pull the drive and try it in another computer...

------------------
    Some computer problems require extreme solutions. Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster to deep fat fry...

Quote Originally Posted by GianT
    I have a memorex cd-rw 4224. an oldie but a goodie. The latest problem is that when I try to read from it I get the error message that it's not accessible , incorrect funciton. I have tried rebooting, reinstalling, new drivers, even kicking.
    The drive icon appears in "my computer" and the device manager says it's working perfectly. I'm running Win 2K.
    Any ideas???
    Could be similar to a problem that I've had (listed it in another thread). Have you loaded antivirus software lately like Norton Internet Security. If you have try deleting it and rebooting PC, & see if your cd-rw works then.

Quote Originally Posted by StevePorter
    Yeah, it sounds like your CD drive (or cable or IDE controller) is ka-put. Did you try switching the drive to another location (e.g., from secondary master to secondary slave) and see if the IDE controller is the problem? The only really good test is to pull the drive and try it in another computer...

------------------
    Some computer problems require extreme solutions. Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster to deep fat fry...
    Hi Steve...How would you go about switching from a secondary master to a secondary slave? Any help would be greatly appreciated!