dvdXcopy problem

Thread: dvdXcopy problem

dvdXcopy problem

hey everyone, I am glad I found this place...I am a newbie...so my apologies beforehand!!

I bought a new external dvd burner hp 360e, and I did not know that without special software to burn movies, the burner is basically useless for the purpose of copying movies. so, I went and bought a dvdXcopy platinum.

In addition, I had to buy an external USB 2.0 bus card because my hp laptop only has USB 1.0.

after installing the software for the USB 2.0 enhancer card, and the software for the burner, the computer recognized everything normally. I proceeded to install the dvdXcopy software, and when I tried to burn a movie, it throwed me a message that the dvd had CSS encryption and that the dvdXcopy edition I have cant support that type of encryption.
    I called technical support for dvdXcopy cause I felt I was ripped off....they told me that dvdXcopy does not work with service pack 2 from windows security system, and that most computers that have that update from windows have the same problem....anyweiz...he told me to unistall everything again, and to unistall service pack 2 as well from my computer....and after service pack was erased, I could install all the software and everything should worked properly...but when I reinstalled it again and I try to connect the burner into the USB 2.0 external card, the computer crashes and it tries to restart but it crashes again at start up.

If I do not connect the burner in the USB 2.0 bus card, the computer starts normally, which makes me think that it has to be the dvd burner driver...not the USB 2.0 driver what's causing the problem...so I unistalled the software again for the burner, but this time, it cause another bigger problem, it did not only erase the driver for the burner, but the driver for my internal dvd rom is gone too...in the device driver shows a (!) mark, and a message that reads something like this: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39). I have tried, uninstalling
    the hardware and shutting off computer so that windows reinstalls it, but always gives me the same error.

I know I am asking soo much, but does anyone has any idea what this might be...I am not good at computers, but what I presume is that, unistalling service pack 2 from my pc caused the configuration problems.

these are my questions, I would really appreaciate if someone can help me out:

1. where could I get the driver missing from my dvd rom? I cannot even reinstall the system cause it comes on a cd, which obviously I can't use anymore!!

2. is there a way to burn encrypted movies with CSS encryption using dvdxcopy and without having to uninstall SP2?

3. Is there any better product or a download program which does a better job than dvdXcopy? I heard about dvd ripper and dvd shrink...are they better than what dvdXcopy claims??

Am sorry for my long letter....I just feel lost!! thanks anywais...!!
    Last edited by latingigolo; December 5th, 2004 at 05:04 AM.

Welcome to windrivers latingigolo. You are treading a fine line here. CSS encryption is installed on DVD's to prevent piracy. Circumventing that protection to copy material which you do not own the rights to is piracy and is not condoned on this forum. On the other hand, copying material which you own for back-up purposes is permitted. The reason the software does not work w/ SP2 is that microsoft strengthened the digital rights management (DRM) features of windows to prevent piracy.

As to your problems.
    - There are no drivers for optical drives in windows - they are native to windows. If deleting the device did not work, try running "sfc /scannow", which will check for corrupted files.
    - As far reinstalling the system from the drive, the windows cd is bootable. If the computer cannot read the cd at boot (assuming your bios is configured to boot from cd), then you have a mechanical problem w/ the drive. If the above doesn't work, a repair install may be the way to go.
    - You don't say if you have SP1 installed. SP1 is required for usb 2.0. Your usb2.0 card won't work without it. You may also need the drivers for the specific card.
    - I don't think you will get anyone on this forum to comment on circumventing css encryption.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

hi there,here in Canada where he lives,dvd x copy and dvd xrescue are perfectly legal and we can make copies for backup purposes and do it all legallyso if you have dvd xrescue it should work