Pay for windrivers? I don't think so.. - Page 9
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Pay for windrivers? I don't think so..

[quote]Originally posted by shamus:
    <strong>okay i'm going infantile here... ....stay on the net, go to your dos prompt and type : Edited by Sowulo--illegal activities
    if we can get a couple hundred members to do it that should hurt their bandwidth. sorry mods. desperate times deserve desperate measures.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That sounds pretty lame. I hope you're not serious.
    Hello World

<strong>okay i'm going infantile here... ....stay on the net, go to your dos prompt and type : Edited by Sowulo--illegal activitiesif we can get a couple hundred members to do it that should hurt their bandwidth. sorry mods. desperate times deserve desperate measures.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And Illegal.
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"

[quote]Originally posted by WebHead:
    <strong>

That sounds pretty lame. I hope you're not serious.</strong><hr></blockquote> and your idea was...

i understand the need to pay for bandwidth and other costs .. but this was the wrong way to do it .. many of us like mayet said gave our help over the years .. i will admit i hardly use the drivers links since i got driectly to the site for things .. however theres been many times ... i have used it .. but i gave my blood and time helping here .. so my time and postings were helped .. others wasted their time and acted like they were gods .. and used this place for abuse .. out older user wined and complained .. and nothing was done .. now look what you got .. a site full of crap ... internet.com i resepct the bandwidth you go through but as for anything else .. i dont .. i have no respect for poor management on things ... i understand paying for the bandwidth but at those prices for links .. HAHAH no one is going to
    Life is like a bowl of rotten cherries that molden over

Oh Well....

Thanks for all the help you have supplied over the last 3 years Scott....you did great.

Thanks to everyone else out there who has helped me out with problems

As long as these boards are free, I will still come here and help out others, and get help when I need it.

As for the Coffee cups and T-Shirts...they could have paid off.

Cheers All

Yoshie

It was like that when I got here!_ _ _ ___ _ _ _ pig's a$$.

[quote]Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    <strong>

how does $1200 per month for T1's sound (& Scott had this on 4 of them and the bandwidth wasn't enough with a 1/4 of the users), the amount of time having to update the site, search for new driver links etc, then make enough money to pay for the Bandwidth, server, feed yourself & family, spending money, software licenses, etc,etc. You would need to make at least $7000 USD per MONTH to make it viable. That is a lot of Banner ad clicks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good point, but the updating and all the other things, I was thinking that you could allow a few people with higher privilages be allowed to update it as needed.

[quote]Originally posted by kannibul:
    <strong>

Good point, but the updating and all the other things, I was thinking that you could allow a few people with higher privilages be allowed to update it as needed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That could possibly work with a good PHP/CGI/Perl/ASP news script.
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

[quote]Originally posted by Aplustech:
    <strong>Atleast the forums aren't going to require a subscription (if I understand correctly) Anyone have a lot of hard drive space? Let's just dl all the drivers and someone can put a new site up and when someone requests a file through the boards they know where to go... <a href="http://www.scottdrivers.com" target="_blank">www.scottdrivers.com</a> </strong><hr></blockquote>

How does 120Gb sound with T1 access?
    It was like that when I got here!_ _ _ ___ _ _ _ pig's a$$.

<strong>Well, I have a really cool idea. Since Internet.com's massive headquarters (just a little hole in the wall) is just up the street from where I live, I think I will print out this thread and show them tomorrow morning and see what they think about changing their minds. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Where is the signup sheet for promoting you to do this everyday?
    I would pay a subscription to that...

<strong>Well, I have a really cool idea. Since Internet.com's massive headquarters (just a little hole in the wall) is just up the street from where I live, I think I will print out this thread and show them tomorrow morning and see what they think about changing their minds. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Where is the signup sheet for promoting you to do this everyday?
    I would pay a subscription to that...

joey3k

It was great while it lasted Scott....

<strong>okay i'm going infantile here... ....stay on the net, go to your dos prompt and type : Edited by Sowulo--illegal activitiesif we can get a couple hundred members to do it that should hurt their bandwidth. sorry mods. desperate times deserve desperate measures.</strong><hr></blockquote>
    actually
    go to a dos box
    Edited by Sowulo--illegal activities
    nothing like sending huge packets really fast...
    DSL and CABLE MODEMS UNITE!

<strong> and your idea was...</strong><hr></blockquote>

My idea was definately not to launch a denial of service attack or anything similar like what you posted. Come on now,.. Don't even talk like that,.. it's not funny man.

I don't know,... maybe people are getting the wrong idea here. Why is everyone jumping on the hate Windrivers campaign. They're just trying to make a buck for themselves. I just personally think that paying for a service that merely redirects you to a mfg website is useless. Nothing more and nothing less. If they hosted the drivers, then that would be much different. I like WD, and will keep going here. Having to pay for the driver portion will not change me in anyway.
    Hello World

Well it is truly sad. I haven't used to site the past year or so as much as I used to but it was good.

I belive Internet.com has treated this site better then Linuxnewbie.org which gets updates rarely now, but I don't think the subscribtion thing is the way to go. Maybe they plan to compete with techrepublic or something, but I think techrepublic has more to offer then just links for their subscribtions.

I guess I'll have to get off my butt loose some sleep and get my site running. Anyone wanna help? Feel free to e-mail me at danrak @ stupidtechtricks.com
    Tech Handbook Filling your computer needs.

I, like everyone else that has posted here hates to see this happen. I had been to the site this morning in my computer class ( I love lecture classes) and everything was fine...went to it tonight and bam! on the front page, there it was. I really hate to see it go. Thanks Scott for all the things you've done for us. I however (as a poor college student) won't be able to subscribe, plus I only used that portion a couple times a month.

I think that, at least in my opinion, the most helpful part of this site is the forums, and as long as the forums are up and FREE, I'll try to check back here everyday to see what's going on.
    "If there's a better use for the Internet, I haven't found it."
    -Homer Simpson