Pay for windrivers? I don't think so.. - Page 13
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Pay for windrivers? I don't think so..

WHY WHY WHY... Oh well... its odd because I havent used the site for sometime but just happened to jump on yesterday to be majorly dissappointed to what I found... so I ranted and raved about 5 pages or more back! But I also came to realize my favorite tech site <a href="http://www.anandtech.com" target="_blank">Anandtech</a> has also gone to paid subscription.. they went about it a much better way if you ask me... I can understand having to pay $30.00 if there where news articals that I would read everyday, and good hard tech data that impacted my everyday life... I will be willing to pay AnandTech thier 30 bucks but I am not going to pay Windrivers for a redirect url link! I found the drivers for what I needed with MSN search for goodness sakes.. and that is still free! I think you should rethink your rates... maybe break it down... 5 bucks for driver links, extra 10 for the rest... then I could see it working... but 30-50 bucks... PLEASE!

I guess xdrivers is subscription as well. Here is the error:

You are not authorized to view this page
    You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the <a href="http://www.xdrivers.com" target="_blank">www.xdrivers.com</a> home page.

You can click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
    Internet Explorer
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

I do not understand - if the powers that be were offering a value added service - ie - automatically emailed you all the drivers you subscribed to, or something it may be worth it, but as it is - no way.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

[quote]Originally posted by Alphacowboy:
    <strong>WHY WHY WHY... Oh well... its odd because I havent used the site for sometime but just happened to jump on yesterday to be majorly dissappointed to what I found... so I ranted and raved about 5 pages or more back! But I also came to realize my favorite tech site <a href="http://www.anandtech.com" target="_blank">Anandtech</a> has also gone to paid subscription.. they went about it a much better way if you ask me... I can understand having to pay $30.00 if there where news articals that I would read everyday, and good hard tech data that impacted my everyday life... I will be willing to pay AnandTech thier 30 bucks but I am not going to pay Windrivers for a redirect url link! I found the drivers for what I needed with MSN search for goodness sakes.. and that is still free! I think you should rethink your rates... maybe break it down... 5 bucks for driver links, extra 10 for the rest... then I could see it working... but 30-50 bucks... PLEASE!</strong><hr></blockquote>

AnandTech also still offers free access to their forums, just with a few penalties for not being a subscriber such as PM Limits, less bandwidth, and banner ads.

Thumbs down

This has to be the worst thing to happen to this site. . .ever! Paying for what you can easily find other places, for free? Give me a break. Well, if the economy's hit you that hard, I might just have to start charging a "windrivers.com" surcharge for fixing some archaic machines.

But, of course that surcharge won't go to paying this site a dime! Back to indepedent driver searches, I guess.

JMA

sorry guys i will also be changing my homepage . If i understand correctly the forum will stay free and if so i will cont to come here and read over peoples q/a but as far as paying that will never happen . not to come at your guys or anything i mean the site offers a lot of info and you gusy do a great work . i;m not sure if you guys need the money for the web page or extra poket money for whatever the reason i;m sorry but i will no longer con. to use windrivers. I use t throw this link to everyone i knew cause they would ask me all these computer questions and they always foudn their answer here . i;m sure they will be asking me another one very soon . Thanks guys )

First and foremost, thank you Scott for having the initiative to give birth to a simple, yet effective website that many call home. I have even seen computer shows on TV mention this site because of the simple, easy to use PORTAL to websites for drivers.

Heres the bind, how can these folks, not you Scott, but the top brass expect to make money by creating a business model that is
    A) NOT UNIQUE
    B) you can get it free else where FREE
    C) Charge to see a collection of LINKS to other sites

Unfortunately for this business model, drivers are easy to find, maybe they dont realise this. I really feel your pain Scott, and I am sorry you had to release your sweetheart to be raised by wolves to grow up into this.

One last point, like I said, many, many, many call this place home. Unfortunately home is now a sleazy motel.
    on tonights menu - special fried bios

Due to inflation, putting in my 2 cents is not worth a whole lot, so here is my 6 1/2 cents.

First of all, thanks to Scott, all the Mods, and all other who post usefull information in these forums. Many times, when stumped with strange issues, I have been able to find solutions to difficult problems here.

Second of all, to those who are talking about leaving because of the subscription-- the forums are still FREE! I for one do not plan on subscribing, but DO plan on staying around. I use the forums more than the drivers anyway (I use the driver links maybe 10 times a year), so this site is still very valuable to me- but will not be if all the people who post here leave.

As for those who suggest selling T-shirts and Coffee mugs- that is a nice idea, but can't really raise the money needed. Anyone who has tried to do this to raise revenue will understand that this is more of a fundraiser than anything else. The money needed to keep a site like this running can not be compensated just by selling mugs and shirts. By the time you by the merchandise, pay someone to take orders, pack, ship, etc.- there is not much left. Ads helped for a while, but how many people here even SEE the ads, let alone CLICK on them? I for one use ad blocking software that cathces almost every ad there is, and I know I am not the only one who does this. Even without ad blocking software, we are assaulted with so much advertising on line, after a while, your brain blocks it all out anyway. Which is why advertising on the interent just doesn't work anymore.

So--- let's make a real statment to internet.com, email them our dissatisfaction with the fee based system they have imposed, and then continue to use the free services they offer with out paying them a cent! (until they start to charge for that too, of course...)

Suprised, but still here,

Joe
    The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...

well as some of you know I haven't been here for awhile, and all I can say now is HA!!!!!
    I knew this site was going to go down the toilet since things had changed for the worst here anyway, which is why I didn't bother with it any more, like I said before NOT the site it always was.. this is just one more obvious way.....
    "Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do"

[quote]Originally posted by shamus:
    <strong> *sorry* that WAS a little petty on my part.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not even a problem,.. And I'm sorry if I came across a little harsh.
    Hello World

Angry

I would like to point the 'Complainers' to <a href="http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=18&t=000701#000003" target="_blank">THIS POST</a>

When you have all done the same, then complain.

Sorry but this is REAL life, not a nice little fantasy.
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

Thumbs up

Well I've been using Windrivers.com ever since 1997, when I started using the web for support.

In the days when one server was doing everything and one man was running the show.

But, I only recenty joined the Forums and Chat Room. I'm sure Scott did what he thought was best when he sold Windrivers.com to Internet.com.

So, I will not complain about the site going the pay way, but unfortunately I cannot afford it, due my country's poor exchange rate to the dollar.

I will keep on supporting the Forums and ChatRoom, because this where All the Cool Techs hang out and I learn something new everyday.

For drivers I will just look elsewhere, like everbody else should do and stop moaning about it.

Thanx Scott for the good old days for starting this great site.

HoNda's NeVeR dIe ThEy JusT gO faSteR!!!

[quote]Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    <strong>I would like to point the 'Complainers' to <a href="http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=18&t=000701#000003" target="_blank">THIS POST</a>

When you have all done the same, then complain.

Sorry but this is REAL life, not a nice little fantasy.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wow, if he had mentioned my name personally, I would have made sure everyone else read it too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you bail on this site a few months ago in a big tizzy about something, and then came back? I don't know the particulars, but you just seem like the wrong person to be complaining about everyone else complaining. A lot of people like you Darren, hell I have nothing against you personally, it just seems hypocritical.

I don't mean to be a dick, but there has been a lot of self-grandizing lately. Especially in this thread. With talk of paying people(or free memberships) who post "really important" posts or high post counts, or mods, or people who look like fuzzy bunnies, it's discouraging.

Yes, charging for otherwise free information sucks. And the price does seem kinda high considering.

But perhaps we're more upset that no one told us before they implemented it. It was just, ok, now you pay, with no warning. That's really underhanded and dirty. I would hope that good PR would dictate that you at least warn your user base before making such a radical change.

I hardly ever use the driver search here. I think I have twice. I'm glad the forums are still free(for how long?). I used to read the articles posted on the main page. Otherwise, this new fee structure isn't going to phase me that much. On principle, it makes me leary. But, logisticly, it doesn't affect me.

They should have announced it first, and then had a break in time period to disseminate the information before implementation.

my 2 cents.

Let's stop the personal attacks! They are UNNECESSARY, and do not help the situation!

[quote]Originally posted by Sheriff Q:
    <strong>Let's stop the personal attacks! They are UNNECESSARY, and do not help the situation!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thats Rich

I have held my breath for too long now, maybe EVERY ONE should STOP attacking each other. I see one or two regulars getting PERSONALLY attacked just about every day. Come on guys, this rule should be for everyone.
    on tonights menu - special fried bios