Pay for windrivers? I don't think so..
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Pay for windrivers? I don't think so..

Post Pay for windrivers? I don't think so..

Sorry That this has had to happen to your site Scott and I realise you have no control over it anymore. Maybe you could start up a new site, Windowsdrivers.com?

boy we must have seen the home page for windrivers at the same time.

Unhappy

Scott, is there any way of giving the major posters a free membership so that we can continue helping people in the forums? I love to help people in the forums but I fear that without windrivers.com that task will be too difficult to even bother anymore.

Did Scott sell off Windrivers.com?

Almost two years ago

Lightbulb

This kinda thing angers me. I hate seeing excellent free sites finally break down and begin charging it's customers for services.
    *The official eating utensil of all WinDrivers members*

Banned

just sat here waiting for this type of reply......

I also will add a few other bookmarks for drivers etc ....ect.....

Winfiles rings a bell, plus just about every "large" mail order firm in the UK has links to Mfg sites.....

if u want to convert $ ....to £ and then pop over and collect it ,,,,i might just take up a 4 week subscription.

the "firm" is already making money from ads all over the place ,,,now they want to get greedy.

please remember "windrivers" that the drivers sites u have are "mainly" USA ,,,,and not the local site specific to the country of the member , how do i get warrenty from a US website when i live in the UK

freddy

After all that this site has gone through.... I don't know if it can live through this. I too don't use the site for searches that often anymore but..... I can't see paying for the service, I'm sorry! Yes I too understand economics but I have economics as well, I'm being hurt by the economy too.. I also understand you have to do, what you have to , to survive.. But so do I .... I will stay on the message boards but will be looking for a new homepage Sorry
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

It's either that or don't have any services, that's the way most of the web wil be going. Hell, zdnet/cnet killed of about twenty goods sites this year alone.

I'm afraid I'm another one who will be leaving the site alone from here on in.

The main reason I've been using the site lately has been more as a community portal, to keep abreast of updates for my bits and bobs sure, but mainly to check the latest news items (you always seemed to pick a good selection) and generally enjoy the occassional wacky tech topic.

Guess this may be the way of the web but I'll be heading elsewhere.

What I find ironic though is that the forums will stay up which must be a major cost factor when it comes to bandwidth.

BUT... can well understand the need to sort some kind of income. Just shame I can't be along for the ride.

Good luck in the future.

Whoa! I didn't see that one until just now. I just checked the homepage and got a good laugh at that. LOL. Is there really anyone dumb enough to pay for that? LOL,.. That's a good one.

I like <a href="http://www.driversguide.com/" target="_blank">http://www.driversguide.com/</a> for finding drivers anyway.
    Hello World

Scot I understand and everything really I do, but with the economy the way it is we small businesses and self employed techs just can't justify extra expenses. I understand it's not that much when compared to some things but still... If my workload increases enough to justify it believe me I'll sign up, it's right now... Let's just say for me personally it's very bad timing.... Like I said Sorry. That is not just a saying either I really do feel that way.
    GLSmith
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Thumbs down

Well, it's still not something to be happy about - paying for resources which are already available on the web.

I know that a lot of effort goes into collating this data, but a subscription?!

Advertisement doesn't cover expenses anymore?

I think MacGyver's suggestion is valid - that of offering subscriptions to those who've made an impact in the forums would be a kind gesture.

After all, the forums and their contributors are an obvious part of WinDrivers' success also.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

I wonder if Windrivers fell victim to trying to do everything for everyone which does require money to operate. I for one use the driver utility and the forums. The rest I hardly ever use. MAybe once a year....

Scott, maybe you should go back to basics and do what you did best. Drivers, thus windrivers!

I can't afford a payment, but I sure wish you good luck! You and your website have been a part of my life for the past 2 years!

Thanks,
    I was here, here I was, was I here? I hope I was....

I don't mind paying.....but if something dosen't work then who do we get to complain to....if we pay there should be some kind of warranty associated with the service....that only sounds fair. I own a business and must provide a warranty for my goods and services....How bout it?
    Rudolph N. Koester
    U.S.Army(disabled)
    ASE Certified Master Engine Machinist

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting "...holy ****...what a ride!"

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight... he'll just kill you. J. Steinbeck