Pay for windrivers? I don't think so.. - Page 15
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Pay for windrivers? I don't think so..

[quote]Originally posted by DJ Specs:
    <strong>First of all, the thing that got me so mad, was coming to this site one day, and then the next day, and it's a paid access site. NO WARNING!! It was a SLAP in the face! This was unprofesional in every manner. For all the loyal people that have come here over and over again, it was really heartbreaking.

Well.. stop being the little pussy's you are, and stand up for yourselves! Thats the problem! Everyone in Canada and the USA, has become lazy little pushovers! WE are the ones who let giant Corporations push us around! If everyone teamed together, and let these company's know what we WON'T stand for, they would be forced to make us happy. Thats the whole thing, THEY ARE SERVING US! But they manipulate us into paying higher prices for whatever services they offer, whether that be Internet access, phone bills, cable bills, or even food!

The internet is bound to implode anyway, because as more greedy people try to charge more for internet access, and then charge to enter a site, WHERE DO THEY THINK WE GET THAT KIND OF MONEY?
    We all will just stop using it!

By the way, the internet was meant to be free in the beggining, it was just GREEDY company's that decided "Oh, we should charge money so we can gain a profit" And the cycle began. BANDWIDTH DOES NOT COST WHAT THEY CHARGE! Its a fraud, go look it up.

So folks..take charge, email the hell out of internet.com and tell them what you think, and they will have to change something, otherwise, we are as good as dead!

And stop thinking "oh, the next guy will do it"
    Thats why nothing ever changes! Lazy people, who will one day let the government barcode their neck, and track every movement they make. Good luck!

By the way...The Library doesn't charge us to read books, or sign them out, why should we pay for stuff on the internet? It mostly all reading also!</strong><hr></blockquote>

The library is government funded with tax money so if you work - you are paying for the books. Nothing is free. You work and make money or you starve.

Some of you who will be complaining to Internet.com might want to take the time and think that if you complain loud enough and often enoug and become a royal pain in their sides - they might just shut the site down altogether. Wouldn't be the first time a corporation has cut it's losses and ran. It's not lazy to analize a situation before jumping to action, it's just being prudent.

Calm down, use your heads and enjoy WD while it is around. Maybe if you pay for the service that you have used for so long you might help to keep it around a lot longer.

Okay so I can't leave that fast, May I add that
    Scott had nothing to do with my stepping down and resigning as Mega~Mod or leaving WinDrivers. As a long time user, member, Mod. & Mega~Mod. I have the upmost respect for Scott, and If he still owned this site I never would have left, But he is now an employee and his hands are tied.
    If your pissed about the site or the instant charge for drivers, monthly pay B/S E-mail the owners internet.com not Scott! He didn't do it!

Nuf Said!
    If all else fails / Read the Directions![

Well I have just finished reading all 215 posts.

I would like to say that I did use the driver section of WD a lot; it was just easier then going to driverguide most of the time. Yes it is just links, but it took a lot of time and still takes a lot of time to manage those links. Scott has nothing to do with this, so that’s that.
    I already work all day; the forum section was (for me at least) for kicking back and just talking with other techs about anything and everything. If I weren’t busy, I would look though the different topics to see if people were looking for help on something I might know about, then I tried.

I would like to continue to come to the Forums, but I fear that most of the people I have ‘met’ along the way will be gone. If they stay, then that’s great, I can continue to come and just talk about what ever. For the most part I have felt welcome here since finally signing up, and as long as I feel that way, then I don’t want to leave. I have no problem looking for drivers elsewhere, it just gives me one extra step to go though, oh well.

Bryan

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd like to see a post from Scott here!

Maybe that'd clear up some the questions: Who's decision was it? How long will the forums remain free? Will the content be enhanced?

[quote]Originally posted by CyberTech:
    <strong>I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd like to see a post from Scott here!

Maybe that'd clear up some the questions: Who's decision was it? How long will the forums remain free? Will the content be enhanced?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Click <a href="http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=18&t=000701#000003" target="_blank">Here</a> and its the 4th one down.

Wink

I would not mind paying for the servie. BUT, if
    I'm going to be paying, I DON'T want to see any
    AD banners, especially popup banners and scripts
    launching seperate browser windows for ads. To
    keep the subscription cost down, I guess a few banners on the main page would not hurt, but NO POPUP BANNERS!!

Unhappy

I just had to jump in hear and say that I really think that this site was just 2 of the sites that I have used to get drivers for my customers. Now it has gone subscription. What can I say except that Shard said it best for all us small Tecs trying to survive,

"with the economy the way it is we small businesses and self employed techs just can't justify extra expenses."

I am with every one else, I will not be paying for a subscription cause I can not afford it.

Now have to get the OEM XP. Lets see were can I get the money from?? I know I'll give up my nice warm apartment and go and live a shack in the woods.

[quote]Originally posted by loveroffunbags:
    <strong>I just had to jump in hear and say that I really think that this site was just 2 of the sites that I have used to get drivers for my customers. Now it has gone subscription. What can I say except that Shard said it best for all us small Tecs trying to survive,

"with the economy the way it is we small businesses and self employed techs just can't justify extra expenses."

I am with every one else, I will not be paying for a subscription cause I can not afford it.

Now have to get the OEM XP. Lets see were can I get the money from?? I know I'll give up my nice warm apartment and go and live a shack in the woods.</strong><hr></blockquote>

OK...I understand people not wanting to pay for one reason or another, but if you're seriously telling me that you can't afford $30 for a year or 8 cents a day...???

[quote]Originally posted by WinDrivers:
    <strong>

OK...I understand people not wanting to pay for one reason or another, but if you're seriously telling me that you can't afford $30 for a year or 8 cents a day...???</strong><hr></blockquote>

That isn't fair.

I can't afford $980 to fix my car, but in order to pick it up today I have to pay it; or I could pick it up for $178 un-drivable, but can't justify paying $100 for a tow truck. I owe $9000 on it, so I can't just leave it there either, Naturally I will pay the repair bill.

I sure could afford $30, but my car registration is due this month, and my yearly ISP charge is due this month as well. You know, I just bought my first house; mid way through construction on some new features, I have to stop. I now have to cut corners in my budget to stay out of savings, and have begun sacrificing.

I have a new baby on the way, and my girlfriend wants to get married, oh did I mention she doesn't have a job, so I am paying her bills too? Oh yea, I am getting laid off January, let me also scrape together some money for your bloody Christmas present…

Better yet
    <strong><big><big><font color="#013E05" face="Arial"> F*ck you and your 8 cents a day.</font></big></big></strong>
    I will go elsewhere if I want to be insulted.

[quote]Originally posted by Ya_know:
    <strong>

That isn't fair.

I can't afford $980 to fix my car, but in order to pick it up today I have to pay it; or I could pick it up for $178 un-drivable, but can't justify paying $100 for a tow truck. I owe $9000 on it, so I can't just leave it there either, Naturally I will pay the repair bill.

I sure could afford $30, but my car registration is due this month, and my yearly ISP charge is due this month as well. You know, I just bought my first house; mid way through construction on some new features, I have to stop. I now have to cut corners in my budget to stay out of savings, and have begun sacrificing.

I have a new baby on the way, and my girlfriend wants to get married, oh did I mention she doesn't have a job, so I am paying her bills too? Oh yea, I am getting laid off January, let me also scrape together some money for your bloody Christmas present…

Better yet
    [qb]<big><big><font color="#013E05" face="Arial"> F*ck you and your 8 cents a day.</font></big></big></strong>
    I will go elsewhere if I want to be insulted.[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

Let me correct that, the $30 a year is aimed at someone who does this for a living or large corporations.

<strong>

Let me correct that, the $30 a year is aimed at someone who does this for a living or large corporations.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You have a point, in that in January I wont be working in the industry for a living, you insensitive sh!t. I though I should respect you for every nice thing everyone has been saying about. I know now that you are an insensitive bastard. Simply saying, sorry I didn't mean it that way would have been enough.

[quote]Originally posted by Ya_know:
    <strong>

You have a point, in that in January I wont be working in the industry for a living, you insensitive sh!t. I though I should respect you for every nice thing everyone has been saying about. I know now that you are an insensitive bastard. Simply saying, sorry I didn't mean it that way would have been enough.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It wasn't a jab at you, you didn't even mention that you worked in the industry, how would I know, alot of the people here are just pc owners and not working in the industry and I see how they would not need the use of this service on a daily basis.

<strong>

It wasn't a jab at you, you didn't even mention that you worked in the industry, how would I know, alot of the people here are just pc owners and not working in the industry and I see how they would not need the use of this service on a daily basis.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thank you, I am truly sorry that I flipped out on you, it is all of the stress .

I am glad to have your attention, I can instead extend a “good luck with everything, and I hope things work out”. I am sure you are going to get plenty of subscriptions, and paying customers. If I could get the Co. I am with now to buy I would probably decide on a subscription myself. As long as the links were up to date, as they always have been, I would maintain the service, with them paying for it of course. Although everything is available for free elsewhere, I appreciated the ease and manner in which Windrivers works. I used it to save a friends day with a broken home pc, or come to the rescue at work to get someone through those tough hardware problem, all within 20 seconds, thanks to Windrivers. I personally will never pay, but would go the distance with you with the company’s money. (hint to the rest of you)

Thanks and I hope the world and the coming year work itself out for you!!

<strong>
    OK...I understand people not wanting to pay for one reason or another, but if you're seriously telling me that you can't afford $30 for a year or 8 cents a day...???</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry,Scott, have to say this...
    Unfortunately and it's bit humilated for me,but I cann't afford to pay even these 30 USD - it's big enough money for me (I'm getting salary just something about 200 USD). And notice,I'm getting above average salary as for Ukraine...

Most of of my posts here at Windrivers forums are replies to someone's problems...
    I rarely use Windriver's service either (because I usually use search engines).

Although there is similar site with similar forums in Russia I'm visiting last times <a href="http://forum.ixbt.com/cgi-ubb/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true" target="_blank">http://forum.ixbt.com/cgi-ubb/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true</a> (still free of charge,and by the way,please compare number of topics/replies, and English language on that Russian forum isn't the problem ),nevertherless,I prefer Windrivers...

Windrivers was my very first great site I found for me many years ago and now it's part of my life...
    I will be really disappointed one day to find myself be out of Windriver's life...