CD-ROM not being found

Thread: CD-ROM not being found

Post CD-ROM not being found

May be a long shot..but I thought I'd ask here.

I'm working on an older computer for a friend. A antique Packard Bell. I just reinstalled Windows 98 SE onto the PC. Problem is the CD-Rom isn't coming up at all. I had to install the the files onto the hard drive using another PC then use the network to install everything else once I put the Hard drive back into the Packard Bell. Now its one of the older systems which doesn't have the CD pins on the Motherboard but has them placed on the sound card. The sound card is up and working fine. Problem is the CD isn't coming up in device manager. I have all the drivers but that isn't doing me much good. I've tried placing the cables in every direction thinking maybe I did that wrong, and double checked the jumpers to make sure the interface wasn't shut off. Either way I'm at my wits end...any suggestions.

Aztech Galaxy 16bit sound card
    Panasonic CR-536B CD-ROM

You might try going to the <a href="http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum2/Ultimatebb.cgi" target="_blank">Company Forums</a> and searching through the Aztech archives for more help with this sound card/controller.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Or buy a controller card that has some more IDE ports on it (they're cheap.) But remember, pin1 on each side of the cable should match up with pin1 on the IDE port. Pin1 on the CDR Drive is the side nearest the power port. On the motherboard it will be labeled. And actually, now that I think about it do this:

Hook up ribbon to motherboard IDE port.
    Set HDD to master and CDR to slave.
    Then run the cable to the HDD, and then to the CDR.
    Then they will both run, and you'll be just cool after that.
    Hello World

Banned

although the drivers for such an early device proberbly can be found as suggested , may i suggest:

the drivers for this type of device go in the autoexec.bat/config.sys
    ie:
    device=*.sys
    just look at a bootable win98 floppy or start your other machine up with 98cd and read the auto/config on drive A (yes A) on the cd

as the drive is an old sony/mitsumi type NON ide type drive , it is prob only a 2 speed unit.
    because of the age of the unit , i would suggest to the customer that you replace it by a generic 50speed ide cd-rom with a duel ide cable

it terms of efectivness this will be a step foward , as the non ide unit is prob worn out by now

Lightbulb

Does the unit work at all?

Test elsewhere first....

Banned

it does sound like this unit is one of the older NON ide drives, designed before ide ones came out.

is the cable going to the cd IDENTICAL to the normal ide (h/drive) cable , ie has it got the same No of pins?.

a lot of those early cards had 3-4 sets of connectors on them ,,,,,,,,,,,from memory they were 1. sony 2. mitsumi 3 cant remember , but if u look at the card u will see that there are different No of pins on each

I suppose to sort this prob out can u tell us if the cd/rom is an ide one ore not?

another clue to this is , look at the back of the drive , is there a set of jumpers 2xhigh 3xlong , marded MA SL CS ,,,,,,if there are more than three OR no MA SL etc then it is not IDE.

DO NOT CONNECT IT TO YOUR IDE CABLE.