FAQ: New Avatar System
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FAQ: New Avatar System

Post FAQ: New Avatar System

Here is a part of the FAQ that I wrote for a site regarding the new avatars:

What if I don't want to see everyones avatars?
    If you edit your profile, there is a new option which will allow you to hide others avatars. This is a good option if you are on dialup, and do not want to see all the images.

What if I don't want to have an avatar?
    Then Click the No Avatar button in the avatar settings in your profile.

How do I get a custom avatar?
    Custom avatars are automatically awarded based on your user level (I believe this is about 200 posts). You will see a URL box at the bottom of the avatar selection window which will allow you to enter the address for your avatar. Then you must click the Set URL, then Select This Avatar or the avatar will not stick.

How do I know what the url is of my custom avatar?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

My custom avatar resides at <a href="http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/noncgi/avatars/custom/7045.gif" target="_blank">http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/noncgi/avatars/custom/7045.gif</a>

If you replace it with your member number, it may pull up your old one.

I haven't been home to test it but I assume we can use our own web servers to link to for the avatars? This is awesome! No more Jedi! No more buggin' Scott! Well, that's if we can link to our own servers.

I know this but it never hurts to review: "what are the size and dimention restrictions for avatars?"

You can have your source image be any dimensions, however, it will be compressed to 48x48 by default. The settings could be adjusted by the administrator. Keep in mind, the larger the image, the more distorted it may look when compressed. Scott can clarify the dimensions and size.

Talking

thanks Q.
    Chicken one day...feathers the next
    Set your goals high and then go get a ladder.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Sheriff Q:
    <strong>You can have your source image be any dimensions, however, it will be compressed to 48x48 by default. The settings could be adjusted by the administrator. Keep in mind, the larger the image, the more distorted it may look when compressed. Scott can clarify the dimensions and size.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yer size is 110x112 so maybe that got turned off?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Sheriff Q:
    <strong>My custom avatar resides at <a href="http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/noncgi/avatars/custom/7045.gif" target="_blank">http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/noncgi/avatars/custom/7045.gif</a>

If you replace it with your member number, it may pull up your old one.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">It does

Post, post, post.

Awww, yeah. Noice...

<strong>Here is a part of the FAQ that I wrote for a site regarding the new avatars:

What if I don't want to see everyones avatars?
    If you edit your profile, there is a new option which will allow you to hide others avatars. This is a good option if you are on dialup, and do not want to see all the images.

.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">So there you go Confus_ed.
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

Sheriff Cutnpaster Q!!!
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

MY avatar does not want to stick even following those instruction perfectly

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by DANIMAL:
    <strong>MY avatar does not want to stick even following those instruction perfectly</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Your avatar is here, Danimal:

<a href="http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/noncgi/avatars/custom/9782.gif" target="_blank">http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/noncgi/avatars/custom/9782.gif</a>

When the "select avatar" popup window, paste that address into the custom field at the bottom of the pop up. Then click "set url", then click the button on the left that says "select this avatar" - that should do it.

Thats what ya get for pokin fun at Sherrif
    *Edited by Sowulo*

Thanks to A d e p t for the avatar!!!!

Im done here

Thanks MAc but I was going to use a different one from my site