[RESOLVED] CDROM doesn't work in Windows 98

Thread: [RESOLVED] CDROM doesn't work in Windows 98

jaming98

Post CDROM doesn't work in Windows 98

Well here's the problem. I upgraded to Windows 98, and my CDROM won't work. I uninstalled Win 98 back to Win 95, and it worked again. But when I reinstalled Windows 98, the problem came back.

Anyway, the CDROM is on the Secondary IDE Channel, and when I try to enter Windows with it enabled, i get the "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH". So I have to go into safe mode, and disable the secondary IDE Channel, and then go back into the normal mode and enable it again.

I think the CDROM is set on IDE Drive 3. And when I go into the Bios, and go to System information, it doesn't seem to be there. My hard drive is on IDE Drive 0, but on IDE 1, 2, 3, nothing shows. What is wrong?

I found a NOIDE entry in the registry, and removed it, but it didn't help.

[This message has been edited by jaming98 (edited December 23, 2000).]

if the cdrom is on its own ide controller make sure its set to master...after you install win98 is there on conflict on the secondary controller or on the cdrom itself?
    if its on the controller you probably need to reload busmastering drivers, depending on your chipset, if its intel you would need the PIIX 3 or 4 drivers, if its a via chipset then its the 4 in 1 bus master driver.
    if its the cdrom try removing it from the device manager in safe mode and let windows redetect it.
    #3 1951-2001

jaming98

how would I set it to master? Do I have to open up my computer? or can it be done in Windows or Dos mode?

Mustang

yes you have to open the computer and there is a jumper on the back of the cd rom
    there should also be a set of letters that tell you what each set of pins does like sl=slave, cs=cable select

jaming98

In Device Manager, it says there are no conflict at all. I can get into Safe Mode with the IDE channel enabled, but not in normal mode.

Ok, but I tried removing my CDROM, and I did that. And then I booted up Windows again, with no CDROM, but I still got the same blue screen. Could it be some incompatibilty with the Seoncdary IDE channel and Windows 98?

Also, could upgrading the firmware for my CDROM fix it? I don't think the problem is with the CDROM but rather with the IDE channel.

[This message has been edited by jaming98 (edited December 24, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by jaming98 (edited December 24, 2000).]