Dvd wont play.

Thread: Dvd wont play.

Post Dvd wont play.

G'day.
    I've had a dvd rom installed in my computer for quite some time now. Never had any problems, until now. It recognizes data and audio cds no problem. When it comes to dvd's it is very pick as to which ones will work (play) and which ones wont. Sometimes, titles that once didn't work will actualy play and then half way through they will stop working. It sounds like the dvd drive is searching for the disk continuously once it stops working.

I've tried a lens cleaner but no luck. Recently i have changed the iDE locations around so that my vid card would display dvds better (according to matrox tech support at least). As well, i have installed windows XP Pro and flashed it to the latest firmware (1w26).

I have a Matsu****a Sr-8585 dvd rom.
    Win XP Pro
    256 mb ram
    AMd Duron 700
    Matrox G400 millenium Max 32mb vid card
    Power Dvd 4/Interactual Player

Ide setups:

Pri-master. c drive
    pri-slave. cdrw (mitsumi cr-4802)
    Sec-master. dvd drive
    Sec-slave. d drive (30 gb maxtor)

Any help would be appreciated...thanks again.

Well, the only thing you haven't done is to check the DMA option for it. Enable it if it's disabled or disable it if it's enabled. Then see what's going on.
    If that wouldn't help, then you may need to try the unit on another machine if possible.
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

i've never heard of someone suggesting to disable the dma...anyone else agree?
    in xp it seems all you can do is enable dma on an ide line if it supports it...you can't enable it for a specific drive.

any help here would be appreciated.
    thanks

Some units do not support DMA. That's why the DMA option should be disabled. Otherwise it causes problems.
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.