[RESOLVED] BTC 40X CDROM wont read

Thread: [RESOLVED] BTC 40X CDROM wont read

DieLad

Post BTC 40X CDROM wont read

BTC 40X CD-ROM Drive
    http://www.btcusa.com/products/produ...de_cd50.html#3

this is not exactly a question about driver. it is rather about the hardware and i couldnt find the right kind of place but this but if any body could please tell i would be glad.

i have the above cdrom drive which is about a year old by now. previously i have a 4X cdrom drive which has lasted for almost 3 satisfied years. i had to replaced the 4X drive since it refused to spin the cdrom.

but now this 1 year old 40X cdrom drive has failed to function properly. the followings are descriptions about the cdrom drive:

1. the drive still spins the cdrom as it has been when it was newly bought - im sure about this because i can hear the sound of the cdrom being spun.

2.the drive used to take only a few seconds to acknowledge that there is a cdrom inside it after a cdrom is inserted - when it was newly bought, there was this long sound of wind(cdrom being spun) and the LED indicator at the front panel of the cdrom drive would light on. but now it would take almost forever for the cdrom drive to acknowledge that.

3. it is worse that when a cdrom is ejected from the drive, the cdrom is still spinning and sometimes the cdrom would fall off the tray for it spins to fast. this is not good for the cdrom and i have many of my cds scratched because of the problem.

4. few weeks before the cdrom drive failed to function properly, i once ran across with the drive's tray being frozed half way closing - about 1/4 of the tray is still out when the motor stopped the tray - the tray should go all the way in when i pressed the open/eject button on the front panel. i tried to fix it by pressing the open/eject button a few more times. so the tray was moving back and forth a few times until it stopped exactly at close position (the tray is fully closed - in the cdrom drive)

5. that was when the problem started and i have problem reading most of the cdroms inserted in the drive.

so now im asking is there any way that i could fix the cdrom drive? i dont think that the drive's lense is dirty because i use cdrom drive cleaner regularly.the warranty for the drive has ended (ended after 3 months of the purchase date). should i disassemble the drive and look into it? i once fixed my friends old cdrom drive (cogs dislocation) and it worked just fine after that.

i just wanna be sure that i do the right thing before i buy another new cdrom drive because the previous cdrom drive (4X) lasted for 3 years and this 40X drive only lasted for a year.

other info:
    my system
    AMD K6 2 3D NOW 450MHz
    64 SDRAM
    6.4Gb Hd
    16MB Monster Fusion display card
    Windows 98

any reply and suggestions are greatly welcomed. my thank you in advance.[IMG]http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum/smilies/cwm1.gif[/IMG

Angry CDRW is blocked

OnNovember 15th, I had power failure and my CDRW will not read or play audio discs also will not read programs I have searched device manager and is in there, but is not under my computer in start-up menu. I downloaded PC doctor and showed that it is blocked, I need help to get to it.