[RESOLVED] Question, getting technical about techs
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Question, getting technical about techs

Scary Guy

Resolved [RESOLVED] Question, getting technical about techs

Ok, what seperates a Tech, from the run of the mill computer user? Compared to most people I know I'm like Einstine. I'm a Tech for the most part and have worked on computers. There are people that make me look like idiots, and people who make them look like special ed students. Some have degrees and others who don't are better at it than the monkeys with suits. This is regarding the "Techs-only" section I saw.

I mean people who fix a computer (by some stroke of luck) or upgrade there own computer (by ordering a new one from Gateway, Compaq, etc...), I mean you can't rilly call those techs. Most of the people who reply to this might not even be able to call themselves techs. My Grandma says I know everything but compared to most I know nothing it seems. I CAN'T EVEN PROGRAM FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! However I am good at what I do.

Well I guess I'm done, any thoughts?

------------------
    Typing Format C: fixes it all.

Well...

You can troubleshoot a faulty machine and you are able to figure out what's going wrong with it, within the first couple of minutes or hours.

You can install every kind of hardware device or peripheral without trying to understand why this part is not written on the manual.

You know the way the machine "lives", "breathes", "communicates" and "sleeps". You are able to hear what the Motherboard "whispers" to the peripherals while booting.

And finally the most important,
    You think as if you were an ancient Greek philosopher.
    "En ida, oti ouden ida", which means "I only know one thing. I know nothing".
    "Girasko ai didaskomenos", "I grow up, always learning"!

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." Sokrates

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

Darren Wilson

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AlienDyne:
    Well...

You can troubleshoot a faulty machine and you are able to figure out what's going wrong with it, within the first couple of minutes or hours.

You can install every kind of hardware device or peripheral without trying to understand why this part is not written on the manual.

You know the way the machine "lives", "breathes", "communicates" and "sleeps". You are able to hear what the Motherboard "whispers" to the peripherals while booting.

</font>
    I agree totally??????

Seriously, Aliendyne has summed it up quite effectively in his reply.

The 'What is a Tech?' type question is like saying 'What makes a good Quarterback?'. A lot of practice , possibly reading about things, more practice and understanding when to do something and when not to.

Keep learning as nobody knows everything!!!

------------------
    Visit my BRAND NEW Site from the 4th November 2000.

The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

furlong47

I agree with everyone above.
    Personally, I know more than the average end-user but not nearly as much as most of the people in this forum.
    But every day on Windrivers I learn something new and that's what its all about!

------------------
    "640 K ought to be enough for anybody."
    --Bill Gates, 1981

Amateur Radio Callsign KB3FHH

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AlienDyne:
    Well...

</font>
    Could not have said it better! Except the Greek part, don't know any!! This is why I respect what Alien posts...this is the attitude of a tech and not a weekend geek!

------------------
    You spend your whole life believing that you're on the right track,
    only to discover that you're on the wrong train.

MTUHyperTech

Lightbulb

You got it AlienDyne. I am kind of a "self-proclaimed" Tech. I usually wind up fixing every computer owned by every person I know, and I am pretty good at it, but I still get hung up sometimes so I come to the forum.

I certainly hope I don't start hearing the computers start atlking to me .

------------------
    PCMCIA - People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Abbreviations

StevePorter

Red face

My PC started whispering to me and I figured I'd "made" it to cool tech status, but it turns out it was only one of my cooling fans going bad. Bad fan! Bad, bad fan!! Dang! I'll keep listening, though...

------------------
    You want the right answer?!? You must be asleep, 'cuz you're dreamin'...

captpackrat

Wink

A User can turn on their own machine, often without help, and may be able to use a keyboard without reading the instruction manual.

A Power User is a User who can utilize Office and the Internet without help, and knows how to do simple maintanence on their computer.

An Enthusiast is a Power User who can fix many problems with their own system, and may even be able to build their own machine.

A Tech is an Enthusiast who can repair most problems with PC's and related equipment, and builds machines for other people.

A Wizard is a Tech who can handle even the most arcane of problems, and not only builds machines but designs or programs them.

A Guru is a Wizard whom everyone else comes to for help.

An MCSE is a User with a fancy piece of paper.

------------------
    Captain Troy D. Pack Rat
    `akbar Press

If you're furry and you know it, hug the mouse!

[This message has been edited by captpackrat (edited January 23, 2001).]

Scary Guy

Cool

MSCE

Scary Guy is a tech who knows the terms too.

Well I guess that answers my question. I'm a tech/sub wiz. Wow, talk about bringing a topic back from the dead.

------------------

jimmr13

Cool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AlienDyne:
    Well...

</font>
    Right on the money ! I have to agree with AlienDyne 100%.

------------------
    If all else fails read the directions !

The more I know, the more I know I know nothing.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cyberhh:
    The more I know, the more I know I know nothing.

</font>
    To know that you know what you know; and to know that you don't know what you don't know: that is true knowledge.

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Scary Guy

Cool

To know all that, and your abilities and limitations, and what your friends and enamies know, and everything else for that matter, is true knowledge. Knowing what you know and what you don't know is just knowing your abilities and limitations. Just my 2¢

------------------

Cable Modem Tech

yeah your all getting some good answers here.... as long as you try your hardest and are not afraid to admit that you do not know it all.... and actually go and try to solve a problem then you are on the right track... if i had a leaky basment and the guy said he did not know what the prob. was but offered to talk to others and do research on the problem untill he figured out a solution than that would be better to me than some " basement guru who thought he knwe what was going on but just ends up messing it all up....
    just my half a nickel

------------------
    Give a man a fish and tomorrow he will be back bugging you for another one!

sly69

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sowulo:
    To know that you know what you know; and to know that you don't know what you don't know: that is true knowledge.

</font>
    This I give 11 1/2and a half. If knowledge is power, how much power do you want....

NEED more input, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!