Would it be possible?

Thread: Would it be possible?

Post Would it be possible?

For several weeks I've been thinking about this. Considering all the expertise and varied experience of the WD clan, and the fact that we often cover hdwe, sftwe and "best" this and that...

Is it possible to do a yearly poll of WD members' preferences? Can these be tallied?

Sample polls: PC's and peripherals, OS's, Web Sites...

Now there's some numbers I'd like to see! And from people who have the experience to make informed assessments!
    "Qui me amat, amat et canem meum."

Thumbs up

Not a bad idea...
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

3fingersalute

Sounds cool!

I can do it but I don't have the time to come up with all of the questions, if someone or any one wants to come up with a list of questions and possible answers, we can compile a survey.

Originally posted by WinDrivers:
    if someone or any one wants to come up with a list of questions and possible answers, we can compile a survey.
    I'm willing to compile some of the survey...obviously this would have to be a team effort to cover all the bases.

We'd also have to be on the same page in regard to question format. I can see some of it being a "top five" list, some might be a five point "rating" system.

I'd also suggest straight rating/fill-in menus...check a box and go on....if opinions get inserted it'll quickly get out of hand as far as manageability.

For now, I'm just going to watch this thread to see what the consensus is.

I can see it now though, "the xxxxxxgizmo was rated tops by Windrivers!"

Seriously, what a gold mine of info. this could be!

good plan I hope it works out.
    WHAT THE **** ARE YOU READING MY SIGNATURE FOR?!?

ONCE A GEEK ALWAYS A GEEK...

l'll throw together a cgi tonight, you can see if it is what you're looking for...then, l can grab IT Len's list and add in his questions/choices, and when everyone reviews that, we can incorporate their feedback...of course, this is all if the cgi looks right to everyone

We shall see...
    BreakWindows
    God told me to skin you alive..

Originally posted by BreakWindows:
    [B]l'll throw together a cgi tonight, you can see if it is what you're looking for...B]
    Cool! My guess is that the most difficult part is going to be in the hdwe section. Do you rate by maker? Considering all the models, I would think you almost have to, and let it go at that.

Looking forward to BreakWindows v 1.0

jimmr13

Cool

Sounds pretty good to me!

Originally posted by IT Len:
    Cool! My guess is that the most difficult part is going to be in the hdwe section. Do you rate by maker? Considering all the models, I would think you almost have to, and let it go at that.
    l'm working on it right now, trying to see the best course of action. l was thinking a personal hardware section (processor, mobo, vidcard, OS, monitor etc), a networking/serving section (routers, WWW and SQL servers, email etc), a programming/design section (languages, graphics apps, website editors etc) and a toys section (Palm devices, TiVO, game consoles etc). lts really a rough outline, l'm not exactly sure what to put in here. l'd love to see a list when you come up with it, as right now mine is pretty skimpy.

Looking forward to BreakWindows v1.0

Yeah, me too...what a fiasco it is already
    BreakWindows
    God told me to skin you alive..

Once a framework is established....probably means limiting scope will be the hard part...might have to break it down into sections and do it one at a time. Or...how about a set of sliders, one for make, one for model?

Just brainstorming here.

Upcoming weekend is free for me...I'll put some real time into it and repost with samples and hopefully a substantial start!