[RESOLVED] Tech Tales its not

Thread: [RESOLVED] Tech Tales its not

MacGyver

Resolved [RESOLVED] Tech Tales its not

I've noticed lately the Tech Tales forum is getting extremely off-topic... I was under the impression that forum was for discussing funny stories about customer support... not what kind of underwear you prefer or what you have on your office wall.

Maybe we need to create a different "Lounge" forum for that sort of thing (where posts don't count towards anything), but I think there are plenty of other sites where people can do that sort of thing. This site should be dedicated to drivers, which has made this as good as it is.

END OF RANT

BTW, all of you who are moderators are doing a great job and I realize you can't catch everything, especially if people are posting while you sleep.

[This message has been edited by MacGyver (edited January 11, 2001).]

3fingersalute

I agree. I can't even keep up with looking at all the posts anymore. The tech tales forum very rarely has a funny tale in it anymore, it always surveys. The qualtiy content is just getting harder and harder to find!

------------------
    I have no recollection of any set of words, that when grouped together, form a favorite saying!

Should I rename that forum The Lounge and then make a new Tech Tales???

furlong47

I agree with everyone above.
    Not only is it annoying, but I have no desire to know what kind of underwear everyone is wearing, etc. Where are all the humerous stories that were the reason I started coming here anyway?

------------------
    "640 K ought to be enough for anybody."
    --Bill Gates, 1981

Amateur Radio Callsign KB3FHH

MacGyver

Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WinDrivers:
    Should I rename that forum The Lounge and then make a new Tech Tales???</font>
    Sure, but there is some actually funny stuff in there about tech support so if you create a new forum make sure the old stuff gets moved/saved...

Personally, my thinking is if you do this, it will make life extremely difficult for the moderators because a "Lounge" type forum tends to get out of hand. I'd clear it with them first. Or you may need new dedicated moderator(s) for that forum.

That's my experience from many years on BBS's.

I agree with you guys!

MacGyver is right about Moderation.

Scott, go for it! I volunteer to moderate the new forum.

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." Sokrates

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

iamtheman

Wink

Actually I don't wear any underwear----just kidding. Good point though Mac, some things are o.k. but underwear discussions in a forum called "tech tales" is a bit ridiculous. Just my two cents.

------------------
    Born to Network

QSECOFR

I agree with making a new forum called "The Lounge". I'd even be willing to help moderate if you were looking for someone.

------------------
    I wish they had Doom for OS/400...that would be some treat!

iateyourcat

Lightbulb

The Tech Lounge.. The Tech Tales forum is the first forum i hit everyday because I read the main page first and move to Tech Tales since the link is on the main page.. Maybe a forum like "The Tech Lounge" where you could yak about anything would be better suited to the main page. On the other hand, if you have a hot topic I'm sure you'd want to put it on the main page.. no matter what forum it's from. Can you link threads to multiple forums? For instance, you have a hot topic in the NT forum on the latest back door trojan and you want to put it on the main page but, you know the forum on the main page gets the most traffic and maybe the most babble. So, you like a thread to two forums; NT and The Tech Lounge. Both threads are updated identically and any spillover you get from someone who just wants to post in the first forum they find gets dumped to The Tech Lounge. This scenario does introduce the complexities of linked threads such as posting to it twice, syncronization, etc..

..just an idea..

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=

A lounge sounds like a good idea......I'll help moderate it if you need someone....most of the time I have nothing to do at work anyway, after all...I work in Networking...I only have to work when something breaks.

------------------
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000

The Tech Loung is setup and I have moved over some of the recent topics, there are too many at his point to move the rest of them. Within Ten days the old topics should expire from view and the the Tech Tales forum will be back to its old ways.

Thumbs up

*Pat on the Back*

Good job with the move, l just noticed the influx of off-topic threads moved to the Lounge.

As a side note...sorry! l just noticed how many off topic threads l've contributed to..
    BreakWindows
    God told me to skin you alive..