Would like ideas for mods
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would like ideas for mods

Post Would like ideas for mods

I'd like your help in finding some very neet, and bizarre ideas for a case mod, but a limit that i have is the money issue, i have lots of resources by swapping parts so i just need ideas, the wacky-er the better.
    Life: A sexually transmitted disease that effects some more severely then others.

Integrated cup holder on top of an Athlon XP case, over an exhaust fan!

Your coffee will never grow cold
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Take the metal sides of a case, and a 12-gauge shotgun, take em out back and "ventilate" it.

Put a planter on top to grow plants. They'll stay warm. Then you'll have a "green" computer.

Cut a huge hole in the side of your case and mount one of those 12" oscillating fans to the side of it. No cooling problems again - ever.

Hey, you wanted bizzare...

Just let your imagination wander. I just sold my case and got a new one so I get to start all over again. There's no limit to what you can and cannot do and many things do not cost a lot of money. Hell, get yourself some red and green LEDs and start putting them in. Right now I am modding my external USB hub to be an internal USB hub. (Pics to come and it's looking really smooth thus far) Go check out <a href="http://www.allelectronics.com." target="_blank">www.allelectronics.com.</a> Their prices are cheap and they ship fast. I get all of my orders two days later and a lot of the things (like LEDs) you can buy 10 of for the price of 1 or 2 at radio shack. Could also run down to wal mart, but some paint, primer and gloss for about $10 and get your case painted. Just always have fun with it.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

Just make one whole side of the case a wall of glued together PSU fans. 400W PSU should allow you to do it.
    I dont feel tardy...

[quote]Originally posted by Cygnus:
    <strong>Just make one whole side of the case a wall of glued together PSU fans. 400W PSU should allow you to do it.</strong><hr></blockquote>
    I like the idea. I do plan on having a seperate powersupply for fan's which will be controlled by switches (fans will be grouped together). Someone once showed a mod where he hooked up a cigerette lighter from a car up to a faceplate... things of that nature.
    Life: A sexually transmitted disease that effects some more severely then others.

[quote]Originally posted by styxenstones:
    <strong>
    I like the idea. I do plan on having a seperate powersupply for fan's which will be controlled by switches (fans will be grouped together). Someone once showed a mod where he hooked up a cigerette lighter from a car up to a faceplate... things of that nature.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That would actually be really simple. Both run on 12v so it can be done easily.

[quote]Originally posted by Aplustech:
    <strong>Just let your imagination wander. I just sold my case and got a new one so I get to start all over again. There's no limit to what you can and cannot do and many things do not cost a lot of money. Hell, get yourself some red and green LEDs and start putting them in. Right now I am modding my external USB hub to be an internal USB hub. (Pics to come and it's looking really smooth thus far) Go check out <a href="http://www.allelectronics.com." target="_blank">www.allelectronics.com.</a> Their prices are cheap and they ship fast. I get all of my orders two days later and a lot of the things (like LEDs) you can buy 10 of for the price of 1 or 2 at radio shack. Could also run down to wal mart, but some paint, primer and gloss for about $10 and get your case painted. Just always have fun with it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Instead of red and green...

don't you mean blue Aplustech?
    (_|_) I AM EDITED BY WEBHEAD (_|_)

[quote]Originally posted by dir:
    <strong>

Instead of red and green...

don't you mean blue Aplustech?
    </strong><hr></blockquote>

Hell, I love them blue LEDs. I was mentioning red and green because you can get 10 of em for $1 instead of 1 for $2.85 like the blues. He said he didn't have much money.

[quote]Originally posted by MacGyver:
    <strong>Take the metal sides of a case, and a 12-gauge shotgun, take em out back and "ventilate" it.

Put a planter on top to grow plants. They'll stay warm. Then you'll have a "green" computer.

Cut a huge hole in the side of your case and mount one of those 12" oscillating fans to the side of it. No cooling problems again - ever.

Hey, you wanted bizzare...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I can't beat that, so I won't even try

Chat Moderator Great White North's Avatar

I have an old wood radio case I was thinking on making it a computer including monitor it has sliding doors at front lots of room for expansion.You could use it for computer/tv/dvd/mp3/stereo if you buy some decent 6X9's and a sub would fit too! combo all in 1 unit
    Igloos for sale!! Buy them today keep the cold away!

[quote]Originally posted by Aplustech:
    <strong>

Hell, I love them blue LEDs. I was mentioning red and green because you can get 10 of em for $1 instead of 1 for $2.85 like the blues. He said he didn't have much money. </strong><hr></blockquote>

to clarify, i have some money, it's just i don't want to spend the money (the bank likes they're loan payments) What make's a case mod a great one is the fact that you didn't spend a sh*t load of money on it... I'm just looking for neat ideas.

I always like the baybus systems for fans. A simpler Idea and less expensive idea I've had for a while would be to run two power supplies. One AT and just used to power fans and coolers, and one ATX for everything else.

that way you could push a button to turn on all your fans before you even powered up the computer. This could be useful in a couple of situations that I can think of.

1.) you have you serious "hard core cooling" items (like 120mm side mounted fan) hooked to the AT supply. and the rest of the system inlcuding your normal fans hooked to the ATX. You could only power on the loud stuff when you needed it or didn't mind the noise.

2.) if you had a peltier cooler (I know these don't get used much anymore) you could power it on first for a minute or two and get your CPU nice and cold before you even powered it on. This should allow for extreme overclocking.

just a thought

Get alot of Blue LEDs and place them behind the front panel of the case so the front of the case glows blue thru the cracks.

[quote]Originally posted by Daemon:
    <strong>Get alot of Blue LEDs and place them behind the front panel of the case so the front of the case glows blue thru the cracks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

At that rate, you're better to buy an inverter and some side glow fiber optic. Probably turn out to be cheaper and nicer than a bunch of Blue LEDs at $3 or $4 a pop.