[RESOLVED] Thermal Gel

Thread: [RESOLVED] Thermal Gel

The Nightfly

Resolved [RESOLVED] Thermal Gel

This isn't really a case cooling question, but does anyone know where to buy bulk thermal gel to put between a heatsink and CPU? So far, I have only found two vendors (www.memman.com and 2CoolTek) that sell thermal paste, but it can cost as much as $2 for a tiny single application packet! Isn't there an economy tube available somewhere? When you do a lot of tweaking and repair work, the packet or two that comes with your fan just doesn't cut it.

[This message has been edited by The Nightfly (edited October 04, 2001).]

Fierce1

Check out http://www.frozencpu.com/, go to search, type in thermal and scroll down half way, and you have a few options for different thermal pastes and what not. I'll keep looking for bulk products though.

------------------
    Go big...or go home!

Things to do when bored at Wal-Mart:
    Take up an entire aisle in toys by setting up a full scale battlefield with G.I. Joes and X-Men.

[This message has been edited by Fierce1 (edited October 04, 2001).]

The Nightfly

Thanks, Fierce 1! The tubes of thermal gel from FrozenCPU.com go a long way toward cutting costs for a home-based system builder! The Arctic Silver is crazy expensive for the small quantity you get, but it's tempting to try some out in a high-performance rig. Have you ever tried it? I wonder if it will make a noticeable difference in system stability. Those Athlon 1.4 CPUs run very hot, even with plenty of good fans and a system blower!

------------------
    "I sometimes wonder what happened to that flame..." - D.F.

Fierce1

Talking

Hey Nightfly, I haven't tried it yet, but I got a project in the works and I will be definetly using some of it. It is a bit on the pricey side, but look at what it does for you. Check out their website for more info....click here ---------> http://www.arcticsilver.com/as2.htm

------------------
    Go big...or go home!

Take up an entire aisle in toys by setting up a full scale battlefield with G.I. Joes and X-Men.

pakprotector

Fierce1 is giving some great advice! I recently switched from thermal grease to Arctic Silver II and within 48 hours my temps dropped about 24°F! You have to follow the directions to the letter but it's worth it. Now under a full SETI@HOME load my 1.1 T-Bird maxes out at 98°F, idle 94°F. I'm not attributing everything to the Arctic Silver, h*!! I may have not had the HSF (SK6 & Delta 38 fan) on correctly, but it has made a major difference.

------------------
    Who were the beta testers for Preparations A through G?

Fierce1

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by pakprotector:
    Fierce1 is giving some great advice! I recently switched from thermal grease to Arctic Silver II and within 48 hours my temps dropped about 24°F! You have to follow the directions to the letter but it's worth it. Now under a full SETI@HOME load my 1.1 T-Bird maxes out at 98°F, idle 94°F. I'm not attributing everything to the Arctic Silver, h*!! I may have not had the HSF (SK6 & Delta 38 fan) on correctly, but it has made a major difference.

</font>
    Dropped 24°F!!!
    Wow!

------------------
    Go big...or go home!

pakprotector

Fierce1 yes. According to MBM5 I've dropped 24°F. Like I said above it may have been I didn't have the HSF seated correctly the first time, so maybe it would be more correct to state with the addition of Arctic Silver II AND the reseating of my HSF I reduced the temps 24°F.

------------------
    Who were the beta testers for Preparations A through G?

Fierce1

cool, glad to hear it worked fo you! Especially for your CPU too

------------------
    Go big...or go home!

Jpbtennisman

I haven't tried anything else but AS2 is about 5 bucks more but it's a well spent 5 bucks, and after all, it's only $5 more than the competition

------------------
    "I don't care if it's called the Crap-tastic 9000! If it's good, I'm getting it." - Me

[b] America Rules!

My goal is to help YOU

Antec SX840, AMD Athlon 1400@1584 STABLE, Epox 8K7A+, IBM 60GXP 40GB, 20GB Maxtor 7200RPM, Plextor 16x10x40, Pioneer Slot-Loading DVD-ROM, Yamaha 8x8x24 Firewire CD-RW, Maxtor 80GB external Firewire hard drive, ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 32MB DDR, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Realtek NIC (blech), 1394 card, Thermalright Sk6 with Thermaltake 31cfm

[This message has been edited by Jpbtennisman (edited October 09, 2001).]

godofuq

Arctic silver is wonderful. I use it on everything. I just finished getting some Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive as well for gluing Ram Sinks on my video card. That, along with my Blorb, cooled that puppy way down and now I've been able to overclock my Geforce quite a bit TIME FOR SOME QUAKE3 .... I gotta go

------------------
    I feel like a little worm on a big f*****g hook.