Noisey AMD

Thread: Noisey AMD

Post Noisey AMD

I have 2 setups. A PIII and an XP1600+. The AMD setup runs very noisily due to a combination of 300W PSU and cpu cooler. I would like it to be much quieter. I was thinking of swaping the cases.Is the 300W PSU an ABSOLUTE requirement for the AMD setup or recommended only. Can anyone recommend a quite cpu cooler for the AMD?
    TIA

well i do know that the amd cooler that comes in the box sets are quite they also don't provid as much cooling as the the ones that are louder

u can also go back and look for a new one the db is what u look for on how loud it is

Lightbulb

A lower power power supply does not equal quiter performance. While a 250watt PS *will* work, the fan in a 250PS and the fan in the 300watt PS made by the same company will more than likely be the same. You can upgrade to a higher quality fan with better bearings and you may see a marginal reduction in noise. Your best bet is to go with a larger fan either in the case or on the heatsink. A larger fan at a lower rpm can move the same volume of air as a smaller fan at a higher(noisier) rpm. I also think that a larger fan is quiter due to some aerodynamic principles that I don't know anything about! I have seen a thread about puting sound absorbant material on the insde panels but I have never done this so I couldn't tell you how it would work. I do know that if you stuck a piece of Dynamat on the metal panels, it will greatly reduce the noise caused by the vibration from your drives.
    Hope this helps you out.
    Note: To correct display problems, hold the "ALT"key and press"F4".

The lower the fan RPM, the quieter the sound...
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

Get a peltier element and a fanless heatsink...like a flower design...

very little noise.