stupid question regarding IDE cables
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: stupid question regarding IDE cables

Post stupid question regarding IDE cables

This is probably going to be a silly question, but what the heck. I'm putting together a new PC and I love rounded IDE cables. I can and have made them, but I'm curious about something. Can you just twist the cables tightly and wrap them? Or will it cause interference? Just wondering. Seems alot easier than using the razor......
    Athlon 1900XP AGOGA,Volcano7 cooling,MSI KT3 Ultra2, 40G Maxtor ATA 133, 512MB PC3000 Mushkin, GF4 TI4400, Creative SB 5.1, TDK VeloCD, Antec case w/465W PS, Win XP

Banned

"stanly" blade (in uk) or a razor blade , cut into sections 5 - 6 connections wide , wrap the ends in tape (tightly) then use spiral type wrap , to make it neat ,,,quick way ,,,,,but cables (round) are common nowerdays

FtF

I think it sounds like you are trying to avoid cutting the wire. What you can do, which will be better then twisting the cables in terms of interference (if there ever will be any) and longevity of the cables, is to fold them. The ATA100 cables, which you should prefer to use anyhow, are quite easy to fold three or four times. What I would sugget at that point is the take electric tape and just tape them closed in areas and then get some split loom tubing or spiral wrap to make them look nice. Gives it a nice visual effect and cuts down on air blockage.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

I twisted my ultra-100 cable too tight, It caused a break in one of the wires. I ended up buying premade ones.

I see no problem rounding 40 wire ide cables whatsoever.

I'd suggest getting pre-made ones. If you want to modify your own, do a "loose" wrap. The extra wires in UDMA66/100 cables are earth lines to shield adjacent cables from crosscoupling, which would cause data errors. If you bind the cable too tightly together and get crosscoupling, the data transfer rate will suffer as the drive has to keep doing re-sends. This is one way to check a modified cable, run benchmarks against an un-modified cable. If the modded cable drops the DTR, it's causing errors.

If I remember rightly, the premade ones are preseparated, so the outer wires, which in a home-made 50p special are under a greater amount of plastic (bad) strain are under the same amount of residual load as the inner (zero, good). I worry about the rounded (read: crushed and stretched) cables in not just the signal interference / attenuation aspect, but also the mechanical loading aspect.
    FAIR USE IS A RIGHT, NOT A PRIVILEDGE.

Athlon 1700XP, MSI K7 Master S, 512MB Crucial 2100, 2 × 18.2GB Maxtor Atlas 10K III, Bog-standard Geforce 2 Ti 64MB DDR, nice big Iiyama VMPro 452 and a SBLive! somewhere in there too, with the mother of all custom paintjobs on my spanking new Aopen H600A. And you wouldn't believe how stable 98SE/ME is on it!! 2K/XP however, now that's a different
    story... Damned ACPI!!

Thanks for all of the answers but I think some people misunderstood my question. I wanted to know if it was ok just to twist the cable, instead of cutting it. Truth is I will probably just buy them to avoid searching for color wrapping.
    Athlon 1900XP AGOGA,Volcano7 cooling,MSI KT3 Ultra2, 40G Maxtor ATA 133, 512MB PC3000 Mushkin, GF4 TI4400, Creative SB 5.1, TDK VeloCD, Antec case w/465W PS, Win XP

Banned

yes u can ,,,as i said before ,i slit them into 5/6 sections and wrapped the ends with black tape BEFORE putting twist wrap on. this was to make "life" easier for me ,,

I have since managed to find "commercially" produced ones , without being ripped off , and the correct lenth.

although i hadn,t thought of "lossage" , in practice i have not noticed any difference between to two.

my old "modded" ones are in by bits box , and i would not hesitate to use them again

FtF

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by freddy:
    <strong>yes u can ,,,as i said before ,i slit them into 5/6 sections and wrapped the ends with black tape BEFORE putting twist wrap on. this was to make "life" easier for me ,,

I have since managed to find "commercially" produced ones , without being ripped off , and the correct lenth.

although i hadn,t thought of "lossage" , in practice i have not noticed any difference between to two.

my old "modded" ones are in by bits box , and i would not hesitate to use them again

FtF</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not twist wrap, twist period. He doesn't want to cut them. If you go back to my original post you'll see that I've said that probably isn't the best idea. If you're going to do anything without cutting it, fold it.

Banned

ok the 2 ide cables , that have been cut into sections , on my machine using ATA 133 drives DON,T WORK.

it must be an illusion , the fact that they have been running PERFECTLY for over 2 years ,,,

if there is ANY DIFFERENCE between mine and mfged ones I CANNOT see in ANY diag test that is available on a 9x/ntfs machine

sorry i spoke ,,,,

THE answer to the question asker is ,DON,T cut or TWIST ,,,just go out and buy them

Ftf

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by freddy:
    <strong>ok the 2 ide cables , that have been cut into sections , on my machine using ATA 133 drives DON,T WORK.

it must be an illusion , the fact that they have been running PERFECTLY for over 2 years ,,,

if there is ANY DIFFERENCE between mine and mfged ones I CANNOT see in ANY diag test that is available on a 9x/ntfs machine

sorry i spoke ,,,,

THE answer to the question asker is ,DON,T cut or TWIST ,,,just go out and buy them

Ftf</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's the answer for some. I've been able to successfully cut everyone I've tried including ATA 100/133 cables by cutting each individual wire (all 80 of 'em) Takes a little while but it looks nice.

If I had a way to post pics I'd put my rounded cables on here. I have 2 ATA133 HD's on a homemade rounded cable that I think is ten times better than any purchased cable out.

I shredded it every four wires, and installed the cable and bound it with electrical tape about every 3-4 inches. As I bound it, I positioned/routed the cable how I wanted and it stays perfectly in line (with the other cables)and out of the way.

I also have other rounded cables that all run in a line together.

It's very hard to describe, but impressive to see.

Soyo P4S DRAGON Ultra
    P4 Northwood 1.6 @ 2.245
    256MB Corsair XMS3000
    Visontek GF3 Ti200 @ 230/525
    1 Maxtor UATA133 80GB
    1 Maxtor UATA133 60GB
    4 WD ATA100 60GB RAID0(on homemade rounded cables)
    Enermax 431 WATT PS
    The floppy, cdrom, and cdrw cables are rounded also.
    Those who do not know, are lost...

Banned

just spotted those ide cables on sale in the UK ,,,the image of a child in a third world contry sat on his bum with a rezor blade have dissapeared ,,,look at the tech spec (ps those are £41.00 UK aprox $60.00 US),,,,

Description
    Ioss RD3XP - Gladiator 3 In 1 Valupack Round Cable Set (50cm+30cm ATA133 - 1 x FDD)

IOSS features VICS Technology's RD3XP Gladiator super shielded round cable, the advanced version. As VICS aims to achieve an ultimate pc performance for the users, this product was developed. RD3XP is characterised by a special features to strengthen the noise defending function contributing a more progressive effect.

SPECIAL FEATURES
    A. Shielding Material from Copper to Aluminum
    Aluminum can defend the noise from the band frequency of HDD data transfer and have an excellent shielding performance.

In this conclusion, we use aluminum for noise shielding, in replace of copper materials, and covered it with mira to maintain its glittering silver color.

B. Each layer is placed with an Aluminum Shield
    RD3XP is made from ATA 100/133 High impedance flat cable cut into 8 layers of 10 cable wires, with a ground wire and signal wire alternatively, and folded in zigzag-piled so that each signal wire is surrounded by 4 ground wires.

The problem usually with flat cable is the inability to avoid crosstalk, which is the interference between two cables causing undesirable signals induced from one cable to another, which may lead to possible bit errors that delays data transmission process. Most cable makers ignore this matter, not realizing the serious effect it caused, but with the RD3XP design, folded 8 layers with 10 wires and placing an aluminum shield for each layer could definitely refrain your cable from crosstalk dilemma.

C. Super Anti-Noise Device
    RD3XP is, at least, 10dB lower than the general ATA 100/133 flat cable. The lower frequency level it perform, the lesser noise it radiated.

Sound Quality Effect
    With the special design of RD3XP, it serves as an anti-noise device for it blocks the noise from coming out and furthermore protecting other devices from being affected thus bringing out the original audible sound to your pc.

D. Flexibility
    RD3XP is made more flexible and comfortable to use. It maintains an even more complex configuration. Easy to plug and unplug without causing extra tension to the cable.

E. Using Mira and Conductive Fabric Tape
    Copper shielding material could easily rip out caused by the tension of bending the cable and also the adhesive of the copper is not strong enough to stick to the cable, thus detaching it easily from cable. Replacing copper to aluminum with mira covering strengthens the shielding function and achieve progressive performance and by using an electrical fabric tape can secure extra protection.

F. External Black Metal Mesh Covering
    The inner grounding metal mesh shield is noticeable through the braid gap of the nylon covering giving a more presentable outlook to the cable.

Our system side connector use red color but does not indicate a technical defined spec but most motherboard the supports ATA 100/133 use red connector. (We still use black for the master connector and gray for the slave connector)

G. New Packaging Style
    Paper box with window allows a visible view of the inner content completely. Switching plastic packaging to paper box expresses an awareness of environmental protection.

RD3 (Including RD3XP) possess certain characteristics that cannot be found in other cable.
    Furnish with High Impedance Cable
    High Impedance is made from a Thermoplastic Elastomer (TPE) insulation material. Ordinary cables are coated with PVC materials that are incapable of avoiding crosstalk and reflection problem. Thermoplastic Elastomer material could be identified by its yellow color, PVC in gray color and TPO, a medium performance of TPE & PVC, in white color. The recent cable banded in black color is also made from PVC material. The price of TPE cable itself is twice as much as PVC.

Design to Improve Airflow
    The thinnest section is only 9*8mm compared to the existing ATA 100/133 round cable has been reduced for at least 30% (Researched by VICS Technology). Used boots for connector parts for smoother airflow.

RD3XP, XP IMPLICATION
    eXtra Performance and eXtra noise Protection
    Aiming to achieve an even more progressive performance and protection solution

FtF

Thanks for the discussion. I'm going to buy 24" red rounded 133 cables. I have black ones I made in my pc right now. I think I clipped a couple of the wires while I was splitting them, but I haven't had any problems yet. Rounded cables, it is an idea so simple that people think there is a reason why they are NOT all that way. I've a question about cooling I'm about to post.......

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

Edited by RD,.....forgot to logoff on a machine at school and someone decided to be an ***!
    Last edited by Radical Dreamer; July 23rd, 2002 at 01:51 AM.
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-