VIA KT133 or VIA KT133A

Thread: VIA KT133 or VIA KT133A

Post VIA KT133 or VIA KT133A

I am looking to buy a new computer and the VIA chipsets are getting me confused. What is the difference between the VIA KT133, Via KT133A, and the VIA KT133-E. I am not sure wich one i should be looking for. Thank you.

I've not heard of the e version of the Apollo (Via's codename) chipset.

KT133a is the second generation chip succeeding the KT133 chip. Bugs corrected and higher performance ratings come from the A version over the plain KT133.
    Veni, vidi, quiesco sum.
    "We came, We saw, We lazed around"

KT133a supports 266 fsb. KT133 only supports 200 fsb even if it can be clocked higher and supports PC133.

The Southbridge chipset is also worth looking at as the more recent one(686B) supports ATA100 IDE compared to ATA66 in the older models. http://www.via.com.tw/products/chipindex.htm
    To prove something, one must first try to disprove it.

CobraTekMax

I'd definately go with the KT133a, as it fixed a lot of bugs, has ATA100 support built in, and supports a 266MHz front side bus.

The KT133E is from what I've heard a hybrid of the KT133 and KT133A. Supposedly, it only supports a 200MHz FSB, and is being marketed as a "value" chipset. It also has ATA100 support built in.

This biggest difference between the KT133 and KT133A (besides bug fixes) is the 133MHZ fsb. It is the only choice if performance is an issue.

If I am not mistaken (and I am quite often), the "E" is an Intel chipset. I will do some digging and let you know.
    "Who but me should write the book of cruel?"
    Misfits; All Hell Breaks Loose

CobraTekMax

Originally posted by Twisted_Mister:
    If I am not mistaken (and I am quite often), the "E" is an Intel chipset. I will do some digging and let you know.
    No, the KT133E is definately a T-bird/Duron chipset. There's next to no documentation on it anywhere. What little bit of info I know about it comes from reading up on Abit's new KT7E motherboard.

I told you I was wrong a lot! Cobrage is correct - it is a "value" chipset for the Duron (primarily, though a tbird will work as well). They are going to pull the plain 133s as soon as supplies dry up. The E will fundamentally be the KT133 without a raid option and with the bug fixes of the 133A. You will be limited to a 200Mhz FSB as well.

Good call Cobrage.
    "Who but me should write the book of cruel?"
    Misfits; All Hell Breaks Loose

I have to go with these guys... The 133A is the way to go. Never had any trouble with mine.