Athlon 900 CPU Lock Up

Thread: Athlon 900 CPU Lock Up

Question Athlon 900 CPU Lock Up

Problem resolved with the cpu change it seems that the vendor sent us a 266 FSB Athlon 1 Gig Hz CPU instead of a 200 FSB 1 Gig as far as the 900 Athlon We replaced that with a 850 Athlon, the customer origionaly paid for a 800 Mhz Athlon CPU. What great guys we are! Vist Us @ SmokinParts.com
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA
    Tampa Bay Communications Inc
    http://www.smokinparts.com/smokinpartslogo

Originally posted by Vice President TBC:
    This is the second CPU Athlon 900 that locks up. We plan to replace the customers cpu (both). Have any of you other PC shops had problems with the 900 Athlon, I am using a 300 Watt Power Supply and the recommended CPU fan, The MB is a DFI AK74EC, PC-133 128 MB Memory,ATI AGP 32 Meg Card,Intellinet Network Card.40 Gig Western Digital HDD, Win Me. Vist Us @ SmokinParts.com

I'm not familiar with that particular MB, is this a Socket A based system, or an older slot A version?

In any event, ruling out memory with a quick swap with some quality CAS2, checking for stability with just the video card installed (remove modem, sound, network, etc...), and juggling card slot assignments are a few quickies if you havent tried them yet. No problems with cpu temps?

I would like to know more about your memory. Brand? Latency? These are somewhat relevant issues... ...what is the actual operating temperature of the cpu and case? I have experienced lock ups with AMD's when the cpu overheats...
    "Who but me should write the book of cruel?"
    Misfits; All Hell Breaks Loose

Cool

I recently put together an AMD Tbird 900mhz on an approved AZZA KT3ABX mb. All went well until I started to play games eg.. The game would load and run for about 10 minutes, then, the sound would studder and lock up - screen freeze - no keyboard.
    The solution was to get the updated drivers for the VIA chipset. www.viahardware.com
    If your MB uses the VIA chipset give this a try.
    I'm feeling Italian and musical

im running an athlon 900mhz, Slot A, Asus K7V, No lockups whatsoever
    "Knowledge belongs in the hands of the people"

Darren Wilson

You state that the Fan is AMD Approved but you do not state that the PSU is though? If it isn't look there first. Just because it says 300W on it doesn't mean it can necessarily give out the required Wattage along the +3.3v & +5v lines.