Shock Test?

Thread: Shock Test?

Post Shock Test?

I was installing a new 800 Mhz Duron system at a business a few days ago where the keyboard sits in a underdesk drawer, and the machine was sitting under the desk. Just applied power to the box,slid out the drawer, which came off the tracks, and fell about 14 inches down on top of the case. Put the drawer back, but the machine would not post. No scatches or dents on the case. Had to replace the Duron processor to get the post back. Question is " How shock sensitive
    are todays' processors? " Has anyone figured out shock sensitivity on cpu's? Mods, please put in the correct forum if I'm in the wrong one.

littleport(don't ask), ely, cambridgeshire

the cpu can takeit, s long as your not droppibn screwdivers on it or writin witha pencil. the possibility of shock damage was one in 700 chance anyway
    you installed windows didn't you?
    i told you if you put windows on your have problems...

Curious, But no post can be thermal grease on the chips bridges,or a cracked die when you installed HEATSINK,This is the most common chip killer of them all !!!

As far as shock it is almost impossible to hurt a processor from a drop unless the die gets chipped. I bet the heat sink cracked or chipped core when you installed it.

littleport(don't ask), ely, cambridgeshire

hmm, well i squeezed a whole 25 gram tube of compound solution on the bottom of my heatsink and its ok, the silicon acts as a conducter, if you have air between the cpu and heatsink it'll insulate. also, the super orbs are crap, make sure the heatsink is amd approved and put a outlet fan as near as possible to the CPU.
    you installed windows didn't you?
    i told you if you put windows on your have problems...

Don't put too much compound on, it can act as an insulator if there is too much

Tks for the replies. I did do a burn-in for 36 hours before delivering the machine. I'm going to rma the processor, and there's no chips in the die, and there was a thin layer of thermal compound with an AMD approved fan and power supply. I was just curious about shock tolerances. In the old days, I'm dating myself, we had a shock tool to test the TTL logic cards. The machine in question was running fine until the drawer fell on top of it.

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

Sounds stupid I know, but you did try just taking the chip out and putting it back in? It sounds more like something just getting knocked lose than broken.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

After it posted with the new duron, I put the old one back in. No post. Did not like the drawer falling on it. No big deal, customer is happy.