Overheating problem

Thread: Overheating problem

Post Overheating problem

My Athlon 1.4 overheats even with my case open and the power suply out of the case. I have a mini tower and the power suply (when in place) is right infront of the CPU fan. The power suply's bottom intake fan is right in front of the CPU's intake fan so both fans are "fighting" to both suck the same air:
    P|<->|
    O|<->|C
    W|<->|P
    E|<->|U
    R|<->|

Would any fan work in this situation or should I get a water cooling system (Note: I don't want my PC to sound like a hair dryer, its already noisy with the 4 fans it has now)

What do you recommend?

Thanks
    "[...] drug companies are killing far more Americans than all terrorists, murderers and criminals combined [...]" - NewsTarget.com

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

I'd get a bigger case.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Talking

I agree, purchase a nice new large case. It will improve airflow and give the heat-producing items more room to breathe.

I don't suppose you'd like to be stuck in a tiny box with a large heat source right in front of you, although this might make a good sauna.

Mike the Techie
    Minimum Spec: Windows 98
    Can I run this on my pocket calculator?

Things to do:

1. Get a bigger case.
    2. Leave only two chassis-fans on.
    3. Get a good CPU Cooling kit.
    4. Get some thermal paste for the CPU.
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

I found a HSF that had two fans on either side of the heat sink to blow air parallel to the motherboard. I also added another fan to it to help move more air. I originally had a fan blow air right into the side of the powersupply, with maybe an inch of airspace between. Not a lot of air movement.
    Another thing is that the thermal pad may have been damaged during installation. I eventually added a small 115v desk fan in the side of my computer to move more air again, the whole contraption dropped the operating temp down more than ten degrees from the original single HSF.
    God is all knowing, I am just human.

Originally posted by WesFlash:
    <STRONG>I found a HSF that had two fans on either side of the heat sink to blow air parallel to the motherboard. I also added another fan to it to help move more air. I originally had a fan blow air right into the side of the powersupply, with maybe an inch of airspace between. Not a lot of air movement.
    Another thing is that the thermal pad may have been damaged during installation. I eventually added a small 115v desk fan in the side of my computer to move more air again, the whole contraption dropped the operating temp down more than ten degrees from the original single HSF.</STRONG>
    Since I chose my case because I wanted a small one like that, I really don't want to change it. I think this sideway fan thing is a good idea, where can I see pictures of it and buy it?

Thanks
    "[...] drug companies are killing far more Americans than all terrorists, murderers and criminals combined [...]" - NewsTarget.com

I haven't seen images of the one I purchased. It really had no name on the packaging. check out PEP66T this one of the few I've seen reviewed. It isn't like the one I found, but it blows parallel to the motherboard.

Originally posted by WesFlash:
    <STRONG>I haven't seen images of the one I purchased. It really had no name on the packaging. check out PEP66T this one of the few I've seen reviewed. It isn't like the one I found, but it blows parallel to the motherboard.</STRONG>
    Thanks! that fan looks perfect! Where can I find the noise level for it (DBa) and buy it online?

Also, is the one you have a lot better than this one?

Thanks

Fan noise levels are in the web page a few pages back from where I started it off at. The fan I found, is made by AOCand it isn't bad.
    As far as purchasing the Alph Pep66, I've no idea where to find one. Virtually all HSF's blow one way these days. In our smaller cases, the powersupply needs a fan to draw air in from the side that the HSF sits as well.

If you look at the watts of heat displaced by a 1.4 AMD you will see it is up to 80 watts.{This verys based on vcore}But even on the low side of 70 watts there is a huge amount of heat there.

This wattage sends off heat JUST LIKE A LIGHT BULB.ONLY IT IS PASSED THROUGH A TINY CORE.No matter what heat sink you use you will need to send a lot of room air into that case and need to exhaust the same amount.THE best solution for you is a bigger case and a heat sink like the THERMALRIGHT SK6.
    My 1.2 at 1.46 with that heat sink and a delta fan are 44c at max load for 1 hour.

Unless you grab and hold onto an 80 watt light bulb you will never understand the heat produced by a 1.4 AMD processor.

I agree with Diehrd again :P A friend of mine just picked up a 1.4GHZ AMD and he has a nice Taisol cooler, but it is unable to keep up with the heat output. You simply must buy a better cooler and or bigger case. [H]ardOCP has a good review of some coolers: http://hardocp.com/reviews/cooling/roundup0601
    They review using high end AMD chips that produce lots o' heat!
    --Aster
    Guaranteed delivery in 30 minutes of less, or we commit Seppuku.

--www.ninjaburger.com--

I'm running a asus a7m266 with a 1333cpu and Else 920 ge 3. Just built it at the weekend. I have used the thermosonic thermo-engine fan, OK it may cost £23 but I'm running at 48c underload. I'm sure this will come down 5-10c when I get some case fans in. The whole thing seems solid as a rock, hope it keeps it up.