Come on baby put out my fire!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Come on baby put out my fire!!!!!

Angry Come on baby put out my fire!!!!!

I seem to be having a slight heat issue with my new AMD 850 T-Bird (not overclocked). It's on a Abit KT-7A Motherboard with 256 PC133. I have an Intel Heat sink + fan from my PIII 800 Boxed set on it now with thermal paste. (I'm using this heatsink/fan because the one I ordered didn't fit on this board) The mid tower case has one case fan in the front. The processor from start at room temp takes just over one min to get all the way up to 145 degrees F. Needless to say it then locks up. Anyone have any thoughts as to why it's heating up so darn fast? Thanks for your help.

Darren Wilson

YEs, the heatsink from the PIII isn't up to the job of cooling the AMD. I wouldn't run it with that HSF anymore or you do run risk of doing serious damage to the chip.

Get yourself an amd approved heatsink. Putting a heatsink from a PIII is not just risking high temps, but you may have crushed the cpu core.
    on tonights menu - special fried bios

Lightbulb

Thanks for the idea. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which fan will fit this the KT7A? The approved fan that I ordered with the processor didn't fit and that is why I was using the one off my PIII. I was unaware that the AMD T-Birds were this fussy about heatsink/fans. (have always built Pentiums) Thanks again for your help.

CobraTekMax

I like the Thermaltake Volcano II, it's one of the few Thermaltake fans that actually fit easily on the KT7 boards.

Coolermaster also makes a pretty good Athlon fan, but the model number escapes me at the moment.

Darren Wilson

Any of the approved CoolerMaster or TYaisol range. Both cracking coolers. Personally I don't like any of Thermal Takes fans, but that is personal preference.

Thanks for the help. I have a Coolermaster DP5-6H11 on order it will be here this afternoon. I hope this fixes the problem and there isn't any permanent damage to the processor.

Well the new Heatsink and fan helped quite a bit. It's running at 111 to 113 now. What is the average temp for a T-bird 850? Either way I think it should be fine.

well... my 900 is clocked to 1 gig, and it runs steady at 36oc... dunno what that is in Farenheight.. but that is with a few extra fans thrown in..
    It used to run at 45 before.... creeping to 50 under heavy load
    A General Protection Error has occured - Time to go home...

I'm still having problems with my CPU getting up to 61 under the heaviest possible load. 40 under nomral load. 45-50 under standard win2000 application load.

But if I do somthing VERY intensive like tribes 2 it will hit 61. With 55 being what I take as the most you want it to run at.

This is an athlon 1333. I have an exsaust fan on order that will hopefully lower it a few degrees, however I just think the Athlon aproved heat sink that I baught packaged with the CPU and moboard has to be improperly attached or thermal compound is not properly spread.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Darren Wilson

Originally posted by Bjackso:
    I'm still having problems with my CPU getting up to 61 under the heaviest possible load. 40 under nomral load. 45-50 under standard win2000 application load.

But if I do somthing VERY intensive like tribes 2 it will hit 61. With 55 being what I take as the most you want it to run at.

This is an athlon 1333. I have an exsaust fan on order that will hopefully lower it a few degrees, however I just think the Athlon aproved heat sink that I baught packaged with the CPU and moboard has to be improperly attached or thermal compound is not properly spread.

Any opinions?

Thanks!
    I wouldn't worry about it unless you are getting lockups, errors etc. Mine has been constantly running at 56C for the last 3 days now with 100% CPU Utilization, with no problems whatsoever. Not even a hint of slowdown. Prior to cleaning the fans out 3 days ago and hoovering the inside of the case, it was constantly running at 61C for about 3 weeks. This is with 8 x 120mm (not 80mm as I thought before) as well & a AMD recommended HSF!!! Little tip that I discovered a few days ago, if you turn the front fans around so that they draw the air out (against AMD's recomendations), the CPU temperature dropped from 61C to 56C under full CPU utilization!!!. Whether or not this is coincidental or not, is another matter, but 'Cobra' mentioned that his also done the same when he reversed the front fans. I know that this is not bad circulation around the case as all cables are tied & pressed flat alongside the side of the drive bays leaving the maximum amount of space for circulation. I may have to try the ThermalEngine coolers next.

Yep, using that PIII cooler wasn't such a good idea. AMD CPU's don't shut themselves down when they overheat, so it's a really good idea to only use AMD-approved coolers.

Perhaps this review'll help: http://www.virtualhideout.net/articl...sf/index.shtml
    "Show me a perfectly smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's lying. Real boats rock." --Frank Herbert

Okay i'm going to put a new heat sink/fan on this thing.

AN update: NO MATTER how low I get the case temp the CPU is still going nuts on temp every time I play games or other tasks that are hard on the CPU.

I droped the case temp 7 degrees cecleus with a very creative fan setup and better airflow. The CPU still heats up to *67* celc. after an hour of tribes 2. Eventually it will lock up at those temps.

After exiting said games it will plummet to 38.

Some more information about this. After extended testing temps of 71 have been reached. I'm realy confused.

To give you a little history. Maybe somone can help.

My last system: When I first put my gforce2 card in my old pII 450 it started overheating. Put an AMD slot cooler on it and no more problems.

Transfer same gforce2 card to new system it overheats and freezes aswell. Case temperate has been droping below 30 celc. so in no way is it related to venitilation. Is it possible that the chip is simply defective. Or is my "Approved AMD cpu cooler" that came WITH the chip from AMD simply not cutting it?

Again at idle time the temperature is NORMAL for AMD idle temps. Some times durring idle it is actually well below average temp. Its when I put load on it... it goes from normal to *30* degrees celsius warmer, and then shuts down.

I am so lost

Thanks for any help again.

-Bryan

CobraTekMax

Just came across one of these babies the other day. http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/cooli...sonic/v604210/

VERY cool, both literally and figuratively!