Normal T-Bird temp?

Thread: Normal T-Bird temp?

Post Normal T-Bird temp?

a friend of mine built a system, MSI K7t turbo, T-Bird 1 ghz 266, 384 pc 133 in a mid tower case with a 300w PSU. he says he is using hsf that is approved by amd up 1.2 ghz and i don't know if he has any case fans. the system monitor in the bios says the cpu temp is 140f. i'm not familar with athons, i know they run hot, but that seems a little much. what should it be? i told him he should get another hsf, is there anything else he could do?
    take care and tempt not the fates

140 is not bad but I would look for better cooling. Start getting cloce to 150 and stability problems occur.
    Must not strangle users. Repeat. Must not strangle users.

Must not strangle users. Repeat. Must not strangle users.

mine stays in the 120-127f zone,
    i need it cooler though
    Life is like a bowl of rotten cherries that molden over

MrJva: Your system is still running that hot? I've OC'd my 1g/266 to 1.2 and still am under 120f. I have no special cooling. The HS/Fan is a cheap CoolerMaster. I have 2 80mm fans (one in, one out) and the PS fan.
    -- I still do not understand the rampant growth of stupidity in this country.
    <a href="http://www.tabletop-battlezone.com" target="_blank">The TableTop BattleZone</a>

russr

i use a tiosol HS with 4500k fan and idle is 80 100%cpu load is 115 to 125 ish..
    also i lapped the HS and use artic silver2 on it..
    on A 1.33

mine runs 105 with extra-large heatsink& fan, 2 case fans and a slot fan, so I don't know....that web site says 90, I have never seen one yet that cool..
    I always use heatsink compound now, altho for years I had gotten away from it
    I find the slot fans make a big difference in cooling especially if you put it in front of the video card to suck out the heat.
    "Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do"

Ok an update on my heat issues. Before I was hitting 70 celc.

I replaced the standard reccomended AMD heatsink with an Open Win heatsink. Its idle temperature is UP 4 degrees c or more but it doesnt go above 60. For some reason my other heatsink was doing a good job of cooling at lower temps, and utterly failing at higher ones. I'm going to get some better thermal compound that should drop it down low enough so I can put my case back on.

*sigh*

-B

I take that back, the first time I took the temp it probobly hadn't thinned out the thermal compound yet. Now its idling at 35 celc. 2 degrees lower than my older one. But still the main problem is the scalability of the other fan unit.

I can't belive AMD rated the other one I got for this new chip. its a POS.

AMD 1.33Ghz with that damn Mini-Super Orb running about 134F.

AMD TBird 900 oc'd to 1 gig... I'm running a few system fans (10 in total) and the temp is 32o/c..... that's 89.6o'f.

It can be noisy, but if I turn off all the loud fans (2 of them) then the temp goes to 35c... which is only just over 93f. I'm using a standard Coolermaster, with 3x80mm (front, rear, and top) and a 120mm side, with a slot blower, and a few internal fans, plus the psu fans. http://www.schui.co.uk/flat/mypc.htm
    never had ANY stability problems.
    A General Protection Error has occured - Time to go home...

Wink

Runing a high performance system with the case off is not a good idea.
    The heat produced by the CPU will just circulate around the vacinity without a guided air flow.
    When the sides are off the exhaust fans in the system suck most of their air from out of the sides of the case.
    In order to generate the best air flow it is usually best to have an intake fan at the bottom and front of the case and the PSU fan at the top rear of the case. A supplementary exhaust fan by the CPU will help reduce the amount of heat that is being drawn through the PSU. (The PSU also needs cooling!)
    With this air flow any other heat produced by, say, the video card will be drawn off much better.
    Does the damn thing work - NO,
    Did you screw with it - YES,
    Does anyone know - NO,
    HIDE IT!