Drop-in Upgrade for Super7

Thread: Drop-in Upgrade for Super7

Wink Drop-in Upgrade for Super7

About two years ago, I rebuilt my grandfather's system. It's got a generic (Lucky-Star) Super7 motherboard with MVP3 chipset, 64 MB RAM, and only a Pentium 200 MMX (that was all he was willing to buy at the time.) He finally decided to get a K6-2 500, which is the highest the board will support (5.0 x 100 MHz @ 2.2 Vc). The upgrade took about three minutes. When I powered the system on, it picked up that I changed the CPU, and WinDoze98SE booted. Then it stopped booting and said "Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer." I hit the reset button and tried again. Same result. I tried a range of voltage (from 2.0-2.5) with the same results. Finally I powered off the system and replaced the AMD with the Intel. No problem, except of course it ran in safe mode that first boot. After a trip to the local comp store, we exchanged the AMD for another one, and tried again. Same reslut. With the Intel, it worked. With the AMD, it didn't. It's got a good-sized heat sink and fan w/thermal grease with another chassis fan blowing right on the CPU (it's an old AT-style mobo). The BIOS shows the CPU temp at around 85F. What's up?

First thing is to check your RAM jumper settings and RAM. If you're using 66MHz SDRAM and the RAM jumpers are set to 100MHz it will probably have something to do with it.
    To prove something, one must first try to disprove it.

I guess I should've mentioned that the 64 MB is PC-100 compliant (2-3-2, 8ns). It's running under spec with the Pentium 200. The BIOS settings are set accordingly.

Is your Win98 an upgrade from Win95? If so it may be the win95 K6/2 timing conflict which requires a patch from Microsoft.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/d...ch/Default.asp
    What I know about computers would fill volumes - what I don't know would fill a wharehouse.

The AMD timing problem only occurs at 350 MHz & above, so if you drop the multiplier to 3 to run at 300MHz and it boots OK, it's the CPU speed causing the problem.

For best system stability, a Windows re-install may be wise after such a big jump in CPU speed.

Odd question. I assume the AMD chip is supported by the mboard?

Stupid question perhaps, but I wasn't paying attention back then to know if that board could handle both Intel and AMD.

Yeah, the mobo has the AMD, Cyrix, and Intel logos on the box. I don't have an upgraded version, but a full OEM version. I was aware of the timing issue, but that only pertains to Win95, which has never been installed on this machine. I think he's going to give this machine away (with the Pentium 200 in it) and get a nice, new, sparkling P3 or Athlon/Duron system. Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

Just recheck your MB jumper settings. Make sure you have an updated manual, and check the vendors site for a BIOS update.
    Hey man! Hand me that thing. Not that thing! The other thing!!! You know, the thing!!!