Before you panic about your CPU temp, read this....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Before you panic about your CPU temp, read this....

Post Before you panic about your CPU temp, read this....

This post is just to give you some idea of the maximum temp your CPU can operate at before the critical stage. My CPU (1.2Ghz 266 t-bird)reaches 59c under a full load in a warm room and approx 49c if I open a window and freeze to death. THE ROOM TEMP MAKES A BIG DIFF! If the air out side your case is warm then all your case fans are doing is taking in and circulating warm air, not much good for lowering temp.

This page is there to answer the common question: "My CPU is running at xx degrees, is it too hot?". Here are the maximum temperatures for the most popular CPUs.
    Note that these values are for CPUs that are not overclocked. Overclocked CPUs may run unstable even if their temperature is way below the maximal specified temperature.

AMD Athlon and Duron

Socket A CPUs (Athlon, Duron) up to 1GHz 90°C
    Socket A CPUs (Athlon) 1.1GHz or more 95°C
    All Slot A CPUs (Athlon classic, Athlon Thunderbird) 70°C

AMD K6 series

All K6 CPUs (166-300MHz) and most K6-2/K6-III CPUs 70°C
    K6-2/K6-III CPUs, model name ending with X (e.g. K6-2-450AFX) 65°C
    K6-2-400AFQ (uncommon) 60°C (!!!)
    K6-2+, K6-III+, most mobile K6/K6-2 CPUs 85°C
    mobile K6/K6-2 model name ending with K (e.g. mobile K6-2-P-400AFK) 80°C

The temperatures specified for AMD CPUs max case surface temperatures. These CPUs do not have an internal diode to measure CPU temperature. The accuracy of the CPU temperature measurement depends on the motherboard; therefore, it is possible that the CPU overheats even though the CPU temperature reported by the motherboard is below the specified maximal temperature.

Intel Pentium III

Pentium III Socket 370 500-866MHz,
    Pentium III Slot 1 (first generation, OLGA) 550-600MHz,
    Pentium III Slot 1 ('Coppermine') 500-866MHz 80-85°C depending on model
    Pentium III Socket 370 and Slot 1, 933MHz 75°C
    Pentium III Slot 1 933MHz 60°C (!!!)
    Pentium III Slot 1 1GHz 70°C for newer versions
    60°C (!!!) for older version
    Pentium III Slot 1 1.13GHz (first version) 62°C (!!!)

Pentium III max temperatures are the maximum temperatures reported by the thermal junction inside the CPU.

Intel Celeron / Celeron

Celeron 266-433MHz 85°C (max. CPU case temperature)
    Celeron 466-533MHz (0.25µ) 70°C (max. CPU case temperature)
    Celeron 533-600MHz ('Coppermine) 90°C
    Celeron 633 and 667MHz 82°C
    Celeron 700MHz and more 80°C

Celeron max temperatures are the maximum temperatures reported by the thermal junction inside the CPU, unless otherwise specified.

Intel Pentium II

Pentium II (1st generation, 'Klamath') 72°-75°C depending on MHz
    Pentium II (2nd generation, 2.0V core), 266-333MHz 65°C
    Pentium II (350-400MHz) 75°C
    Pentium II (450MHz) 70°C

Pentium II temperatures are the maximum temperatures of the thermal transfer plate (on which the heatsink is installed).

Intel Pentium 4 (Willamette)

Pentium 4 1.3GHz 69°C
    Pentium 4 1.4GHz 70°C
    Pentium 4 1.5GHz 72°C

Intel Pentium Pro

Pentium Pro, 256 or 512K L2 cache 85°
    Pentium Pro, 1MB L2 cache 80°C

Pentium Pro temperatures are maximum surface temperatures.

Note: For information on the maximum temperature of less common CPUs (mobile CPUs, VIA/Cyrix, older CPU models) and other electrical specifications, please visit Chris Hare's Processor Electrical Specifications page.
    The information here is provided WITHOUT WARRANTY of any kind. If you are designing a system and need to have accurate information on the maximum temperature of a specific CPU, please rely on the information provided by the CPU manufacturer, and not the information here.

Last update: January 29, 2001. Future CPU models (even if they are marketed under the same name/with the same MHz) as the CPUs mentioned here may have different thermal specifications
    I have a proper toolkit now complete with a little torch!!!

Unfortunately it doesn't mean they'll run reliably or well at that temperature, not to mention the stress on nylon/plastic CPU fans. It's always nice to know the CPUs will go that hot if a fan fails and the heat monitoring is switched off or doesn't work though.
    To prove something, one must first try to disprove it.

Dear Antimatter- If the fan fails why would it be nice to know when the cpu is already fried before you can turn off the computer?

Where did you get these numbers? My mobo will not support my CPU running nearly that hot. It'll shut down, it has a built in thermistor.

Originally posted by bojo:
    Dear Antimatter- If the fan fails why would it be nice to know when the cpu is already fried before you can turn off the computer?
    The heat sink on it's own can handle a lot of heat in a well set up case so you might notice a lot of crashing and maybe get away with nothing more than a replacement Cooler. The CPU die is designed to handle the temperature, not to work properly at those kinds of temperature(please correct me if I'm wrong). Anything after 1st generation Athlon and some Durons were designed for 90C max. Some of the mobo manuals mention this in translating the numbers on the CPU die. I've always found Durons to start getting unreliable above 55C. Athlons I haven't tested as thoroughly but 5C hotter seems to be the norm.
    To prove something, one must first try to disprove it.

Cool

My 800 t-bird with an AMD recommended heatsink and fan ran at 83C originaly. with increased system cooling and a better heat sink was able to tone it down to 41C.
    I can win any argument with any computer made yet. Since they really haven't learned to fight back.

Here is what I do before I send out a amd computer. Start out by removing the crap from the heat sink. Then with 800 grit paper
    starting with a figure eight movement polish the base - increasing to a 2000 grit paper I get it as smooth as possible. Them with Artic Silver heat sink compound applied (just a little on heat sink and cpu core)
    I attach the heatsinkfan. Use one of the high cfm fans. Low temps enough to overclock
    ---- thats what i do

heck with the fan...water cool it www.dangerden.com
    #3 1951-2001

I built my father a computer with a Duron 600MHZ and overclocked it to 1GHZ @ 1.8V core and it runs around 52C. It has been running for 6 months with out any problems.

Originally posted by LagMonster:
    Where did you get these numbers? My mobo will not support my CPU running nearly that hot. It'll shut down, it has a built in thermistor.
    Sorry about my late responce to your question but I've been a little pre-occupied with other matters.

The info you I posted was from the heatsink review site at:
    http://www.heatsink-guide.com/

I discovered this link from another posting in this forum.

Credit and thx to shadow 1 who was the original poster of the link.
    I have a proper toolkit now complete with a little torch!!!

Registered User Trainshed Terry's Avatar

Exclamation Water and Electricity

Quote Originally Posted by weazel
    heck with the fan...water cool it www.dangerden.com
    And there is me thinking that water and electricity do not mix,...........but from what I seen it dose. I still feel that it a risky format to use.

Terry.

I agree really, I always look askance at the possibility of a leak.

I had to turn away a repair at work today - a (non-immersible) pump controller that had been submerged in a flood. Totally beyond redemption.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainshed Terry
    And there is me thinking that water and electricity do not mix,...........but from what I seen it dose. I still feel that it a risky format to use.

Terry.
    Been running an EXOS water cooling system for well over a year now without issue.
    Water and electricity do mix if its done properly
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by bluewest11
    This post is just to give you some idea of the maximum temp your CPU can operate at before the critical stage:

AMD Athlon and Duron

Socket A CPUs (Athlon, Duron) up to 1GHz 90°C
    Socket A CPUs (Athlon) 1.1GHz or more 95°C

The information here is provided WITHOUT WARRANTY of any kind. If you are designing a system and need to have accurate information on the maximum temperature of a specific CPU, please rely on the information provided by the CPU manufacturer, and not the information here.
    Geesh, I thought freddy was back with this resurection.
    Thank's btw oldtimer for the disclaimer. It would CERTAINLY be needed.
    Care to fry eggs anyone?

Registered User Trainshed Terry's Avatar

Exclamation Re; What about the RAM

It is all well and good talking about the CPU,s temp but has any body thought about the memory chips and how to keep them cool.

I currently 4GB of memory and they seam to run warm so if any body out there has any good ideas on how to improving the cooling of them it would be appreciated

Thank You
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________

I am a human not a machine.