Before you panic about your CPU temp, read this.... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Before you panic about your CPU temp, read this....

Most people get very confused between temperature and heat. No they are not the same thing.

Try imagining this...

You have a component producing heat and in this you can actually see the heat in the form of balloons. Now, if you have no air flow, the balloons stay on the component, more and more heat builds up and you have this enormous pile of balloons... you need to remove the balloons as they are made. So you create an airflow, pushing the balloons out of the way so that as more are produced they are blown away.

You then need to make sure that the balloons are continuously carried away AND that they don't sit in a dead spot somewhere. In your computer case you want air coming in at one end (usually the front) which pushes the balloons out the back. To improve the removal of the balloons from the case, people will put another fan at the back pushing air away from the case.

It doesn't matter that components feels wam or hot as such, it matters that heat is not allowed to build up by trapping it within the case. Cooling is about the removal of heat, temperature reduction is a side effect.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Registered User Trainshed Terry's Avatar
    That was a great reply NooNoo.

I know that this my seam to be a silly question but which components need the greatest amount of cooling.

Dose the design of the case affect the way things are cooled as my current case has two 120mm fans one at the front to pull in cool air and one at the back to exhaust the warmed air from the rear off the case and the CPU cooler.

I just changed my PSU unit to the following http://www.xilencepower.com/
    which has a 120mm fan which helps remove the warmed air from the case. and it is quite to boot

The temps below are a current rough guide to what thins are running at to-date.

The one that has me concerned with is the GPU temps

Temperatures:
    Motherboard 34 °C (93 °F)
    CPU 34 °C (93 °F)
    GPU 56 °C (133 °F)
    GPU Ambient 42 °C (108 °F)
    Maxtor 6V160E0 36 °C (97 °F)
    Maxtor 6V300F0 35 °C (95 °F)

Perhaps some time in the future some will develop a air flowed case for top performance in cooling.

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images

So what cooling is on your video card... what video card for that matter?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    So what cooling is on your video card... what video card for that matter?
    The video card that I have installed is the following

Sapphire Radeon X1650Pro which has a fan and a copper heat spreader attached so all I can imagine is that in its current configuration the fan is recycling warm air around it.

If I could find another cooler for the card I think that one that expels the warm air to the rear of the case.

Please see attached image as an example of card in question.

Regards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

so how much room have you got between the the x1650 and other cards or components? There are going to be alot of balloons coming out of that fan... where do they get to go after they have been expelled from the fan?

If you have got room this could do the trick but hunting for a quiet one might be problematic.

Arctic Cooler makes some very good ones that I use all the time. They mount very easily but like all good coolers they do take up nearly 2 slots
    http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga1.php
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Exclamation

If you have got room this could do the trick but hunting for a quiet one might be problematic.

I do have that sort of fan fitted already but to me it dose not make a lot of difference.

Is the intake for the slot blower facing the video card fan?

Lightbulb

Is the intake for the slot blower facing the video card fan?
    I can categorical say yes it is and is one slot below the VGA card.

does the slot blower actually blow hot air out? If not, you may need to reposition it.... or get a better one!

reposition it
    That would be my thought. That video card is drawing "cool" air in through the fan blades and exhausting it out into the body of the case, not ideally where you want it...

If the cooling vent has its intake facing the card's fan intake, it will actually be fighting against the card's fan, pulling away the cooler air it wants and drawing the warmer exhaust air back towards the card's intake. The vent's intake should be immediately adjacent to the exit point of the video card cooler duct, and the video card fan intake should have clearance, nothing pressed close against it.

All I have to do now is figure out which way the air is circulating around the VGA card.

I haven't found the slot-based cooling fans to be effective. The duct is poorly positioned, and they have virtually no impact on case temperatures. VGA coolers that duct to the outside are a different matter altogether because they remove heat directly from the video card and pump it out of the case.

You should always be aware of how effectively your case fan(s) can exhaust hot air. One of the most cost effective ways to lower case temperature is to use a fan that removes more hot air. Of course, this also has the effect of increasing the flow of air into the case as well. What you can do to improve case cooling depends on what size and number of exhaust fans your case supports, as well as your noise tolerence. Generally, when you look at sites that sell cooling hardware you can see specs on both airflow and noise levels for the products they sell.

The choices out there is mind blowing and it all about informed decisions on which is the best product for your needs including costs.