Before you panic about your CPU temp, read this.... - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Before you panic about your CPU temp, read this....

You want one that moves more cfm2..which is related to both RPM and fan size... and figuring out airflow is difficult if you have conflicting fans. Time to stop all the case fans (not the psu, cpu and gpu fans)and add them back, one at a time to what the effect is.

Fans have an arrow on them to show you which way the air will flow.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Registered User Trainshed Terry's Avatar

Question Fans

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    You want one that moves more cfm2..which is related to both RPM and fan size... and figuring out airflow is difficult if you have conflicting fans. Time to stop all the case fans (not the psu, cpu and gpu fans)and add them back, one at a time to what the effect is.

Fans have an arrow on them to show you which way the air will flow.
    The 2 120mm fans that I have fitted to the case are on the following link

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/fans2.php?idx=111

These fans can only be fitted one way by the way they have been designed.

They are a very quite fan. I also disconnected the blower fan see if it made any difference to the temps. Results below

The following link is to illustrate the CPU cooler.
    http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=79&disc=

Temperatures:
    Motherboard 36 °C (97 °F)
    CPU 36 °C (97 °F)
    GPU 56 °C (133 °F)
    GPU Ambient 44 °C (111 °F)
    Maxtor 6V160E0 39 °C (102 °F)
    Maxtor 6V300F0 39 °C (102 °F)

Compared with

Temperatures:
    Motherboard 34 °C (93 °F)
    CPU 34 °C (93 °F)
    GPU 56 °C (133 °F)
    GPU Ambient 42 °C (108 °F)
    Maxtor 6V160E0 36 °C (97 °F)
    Maxtor 6V300F0 35 °C (95 °F)

I would still like to be able to reduce the temp of the GPU.

OK, don't yell at me, but I have to ask, did you get the front fan for the front and got the back fan in the back?

Can you open up the case and take a pic of the inside? Then email it me at gmail please. I need to see the positions of everything.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Ok, Noo, if you are going to annoy Trainshed, I guess I'll give it a go too. Terry, I don't think you made a bad choice in fans in terms of quality and performance, but I have a prejudice against temperature controlled, variable speed fans.

I'll decide when my system is cool enough, not some thermal circuit, and I'll choose the noise level I want. In other words, I want a constant speed fan and constant noise level. I just want the system to run as cool as possible consistent with my noise tolerance.

Intake fans? Just say no! This position always get me beaten up, so I'm used to it. For all the doubters, I'm going to post this link: http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/26003.pdf

Please read it before you react. Honestly, it continues to amaze me that the logic isn't fairly obvious to so many. You really can't push significantly more air into a case than you can remove from it. So if your exhaust system can remove 53 cubic feet a minute, there isn't much point in having a front mounted 120 CFM fan. The exhaust fan is going to pull air into the case from exactly the same ducts where an intake fan would be mounted. A 53 CFM exhaust fan will bring just as much cool air into the case as a 53 CFM intake fan.

All the intake fan does is disrupt normal convection patters, create hotspots, consume electricity , generate heat, and add noise. Plus, the additional fan noise is likely to be closer to the user than noise from a higher-flow exhaust fan.

So there!

But, Arctic Cooling does offer excellent VGA coolers. If your are concerned about GPU temp, buy one. You really can't do better.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    Ok, Noo, if you are going to annoy Trainshed, I guess I'll give it a go too. Terry, I don't think you made a bad choice in fans in terms of quality and performance, but I have a prejudice against temperature controlled, variable speed fans.

I'll decide when my system is cool enough, not some thermal circuit, and I'll choose the noise level I want. In other words, I want a constant speed fan and constant noise level. I just want the system to run as cool as possible consistent with my noise tolerance.

Intake fans? Just say no! This position always get me beaten up, so I'm used to it. For all the doubters, I'm going to post this link: http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/26003.pdf

Please read it before you react. Honestly, it continues to amaze me that the logic isn't fairly obvious to so many. You really can't push significantly more air into a case than you can remove from it. So if your exhaust system can remove 53 cubic feet a minute, there isn't much point in having a front mounted 120 CFM fan. The exhaust fan is going to pull air into the case from exactly the same ducts where an intake fan would be mounted. A 53 CFM exhaust fan will bring just as much cool air into the case as a 53 CFM intake fan.

All the intake fan does is disrupt normal convection patters, create hotspots, consume electricity , generate heat, and add noise. Plus, the additional fan noise is likely to be closer to the user than noise from a higher-flow exhaust fan.

So there!

But, Arctic Cooling does offer excellent VGA coolers. If your are concerned about GPU temp, buy one. You really can't do better.
    Isn't that what they term as a balanced system if your intake fan pulls in 52CFm and the exhaust fan expels 52CFm .

As for the noise levels that dose not worry as I find therapeutic and claiming little bit like the sound of a sea gently lapping on a pebble beach. But that me.

Just a thought.

Trainshed, matched fans do provide balanced airflow, but pulling air out of the case introduces the same amount of air into the case. As we say here in Texas, "Pardner, that there intake fan don't do nothin'."

I attended an AMD Roadshow in Dallas where an AMD engineer made similar remarks even before the online posting, and let me tell you, he got the attention of every system builder in the room. And the reaction wasn't very favorable.

But, when he explained the testing methodology, it started to make sense. AMD spent a fair number of dollars testing different cooling configurations, and they included temperature measurements at several different points on the motherboard, on video cards, etc.

It makes perfect sense. If you have one fan blowing out you are evacuating the air and since air, like water needs to find it's level, air will rush in as a result.

This is the basis of wind! Remember you only breathe out, the fact that your lungs are empty causes air to rush in. You can of course, consciously control it and breathe in, but otherwise you just breath out and let nature fill your lungs for you without any muscular effort.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    Trainshed, matched fans do provide balanced airflow, but pulling air out of the case introduces the same amount of air into the case. As we say here in Texas, "Pardner, that there intake fan don't do nothin'."

I attended an AMD Roadshow in Dallas where an AMD engineer made similar remarks even before the online posting, and let me tell you, he got the attention of every system builder in the room. And the reaction wasn't very favorable.

But, when he explained the testing methodology, it started to make sense. AMD spent a fair number of dollars testing different cooling configurations, and they included temperature measurements at several different points on the motherboard, on video cards, etc.
    And the winner is ??????????????????