[RESOLVED] Chipped Thunderbird core

Thread: [RESOLVED] Chipped Thunderbird core

Ex-Hasbro Tech

Question Chipped Thunderbird core

Hey guys,

I have just a quick tech question. I recently built an Athlon system with a 1.33 Ghz thunderbird on a MS-6380 mainboard (VIA KT266 Pro) with 256 MB of PC-2100 ddr ram. All was going well until I decided to replace the heatsink and fan. Well, I must have been in a hurry because I don't think I attached it right the first SEVERAL times and had to keep fiddling with it. Everyhting in WIN2k seems fine, except my jpegs look like snow on a TV set in any MS app, my sound is choppy, and the 3d effects in windows are badly corrupted. Other than that, this baby is stable. I have read posts talking about bad AMD chips that had this problem and needed to be replaced, but i think I may have chipped the core during my ridiculously bad heatsink installation. I examined it and the core was badly chipped on all sides. Now, I plan to give the mobo to somebody with a new processor. I guess my question is whether you all think my probs are chip related or maybe the mobo might be bad? Let me know...

PS - Tried all the obvious stuff (new video board, drivers, uninstall/reinstall) and made sure the bios was set to the factory defaults (no overclocking)

Thanks,
    Evan

Darren Wilson

If the core is chipped then you can be 95% certain that it is the CPU & not the board.

------------------
    FINALLY, Rocco HAS COME BACK to Win-Driverssssss......
    Let the Boobies hit the floor

[This message has been edited by Darren Wilson (edited September 16, 2001).]

Virgo77

I was also in that same boat,changed my heatsink and chipped the corner off my 1.GHZ Tbird but luckily it fired up and is running like a dream now....Lesson learnt,be careful with heatsinks......Bit of time and care is cheaper than a new cpu...

godofuq

Yea, I'd give it a 99% ration that is your problem. I have heard of many cases where this is apparent and is causing many problems. On the brighter side, I have also seen some people chip their core and it still works just like new. Don't really know how but i'd feel lucky to be them. Sorry but it sounds like you're going to be pitchin some money in for a new proc.

------------------
    I feel like a little worm on a big f*****g hook.

-Aplustech

Ex-Hasbro Tech

Yea, based upon what I've read and heard I guess a new processor would do the trick. But hey, at least the mainboard should still be good!

Evan

techboy_1

Ihave a chipped core and my computer runs fine. I've destroyed one processor core badly, and the thing wouldnt boot at all. If you don't chip it too badly it should work fine.

------------------
    I love it when the hot chicks come in.

Jpbtennisman

I know someone with a chipped core, it runs fine but it will no longer OC..

but sadly in your case its probably the CPU.

Can u send a pic?

next time, USE A SHIM!
    ------------------
    "I don't care if it's called the Crap-tastic 9000! If it's good, I'm getting it." - Me

Mistake #6:
    "If we got a new webmaster, you would get permanently banned and your Word Association post would be closed."

Antec SX840, AMD Athlon 1400@1584 STABLE, Epox 8K7A+, IBM 60GXP 40GB, 20GB Maxtor 7200RPM, Plextor 16x10x40, Pioneer Slot-Loading DVD-ROM, Yamaha 8x8x24 Firewire CD-RW, Maxtor 80GB external Firewire hard drive, ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 32MB DDR, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Realtek NIC (blech), 1394 card, Thermalright Sk6 with Thermaltake 31cfm

[This message has been edited by Jpbtennisman (edited October 05, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Jpbtennisman (edited October 05, 2001).]

Jvaguy

and follow darren wilsons advice on removing HSF .. when its hot SLOWLY remove the HSF with a screwdriver (cause the compund might be stuck to the chip and HSF) .. and when placing it on .. do it SLOWLY .. if the few secs of rushing is so important that $200 isnt important .. send me the money .. i know i could use it .. heheh

------------------
    SYSTEM SPECS
    Asus A7V266, AMD 1100 ( C series), 72x Kenwood CD, 8x4x32 Hp 9100I, ATI Radeon AGP 4x, ATA 100 (7200 RPM) 30gig, ATA 100 (7200 RPM) 13gig, 392mb pc2100 DDR RAM, Sound Blaster Live X-Gamer, Netgear 100-TX NIC, Windows XP Pro GOLD

[This message has been edited by Jvaguy (edited October 05, 2001).]

Cobra

I did this to a T-Bird 800 when I tried to put a Chrome Orb on (I'd just like to shout out a big F*** YOU! to ThermalTake). Same thing you are describing, JPGs look like snow & staticy when displayed in IE or explorer. I hate to say it, but you're pretty much screwed on that chip. Even if everything else appears to run fine, you will run into other problems with a chipped core, believe you me.

------------------
    "Black in the Sun
    What have I done?
    I feel so bad
    I feel so numb"

Rob Zombie - "Feel So Numb"

[This message has been edited by Cobra (edited October 05, 2001).]

get a copper shim for it (£10) fits over the chip, allows better fitting of the h/s, and reduces the risks of doing the above! I've got mine fitted, and never need to worry about breaking the core.

ps. what's worth buying now.. 1.4 266 athlon (£100), or a 1800+XP, £240!!!!

------------------
    A General Protection Error has occured - Time to go home...

godofuq

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Schui:
    get a copper shim for it (£10) fits over the chip, allows better fitting of the h/s, and reduces the risks of doing the above! I've got mine fitted, and never need to worry about breaking the core.

ps. what's worth buying now.. 1.4 266 athlon (£100), or a 1800+XP, £240!!!!

</font>
    As the old saying goes... never say never. I have seen plenty of people with shims that have busted cores too. You just have to be extremely careful.

------------------
    I feel like a little worm on a big f*****g hook.

brewmandan

Question

just curious, but are the bottoms of the copper shims coated as not to close the bridges? I have never used a shim and always wondered if copper was an ideal material.
    Dan

The shim has cut outs for the core, and the bridges.. fits fine for me..

it did arrive a little bent in the post, but after flattening it out well, and sanding the base of the h/s, all was well.
    I believe they now post them in cardboard envelopes...

------------------