[RESOLVED] 1 ghz athlon will not run at 1ghz

Thread: [RESOLVED] 1 ghz athlon will not run at 1ghz

mpiper

Post 1 ghz athlon will not run at 1ghz

I have a 1ghz/266 athlon in a new asus a7v133 mobo. The processor will not run at 1ghz, it will crash on boot. This is the second processor I have tried. What can I do to rule out the mobo? Anything else a problem? It will run very stable at 750 mhz (100 X 7.5 clock) but no higher.

------------------
    Murphy's Second Corollary
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Murphy's Law

pakprotector

Hi mpiper I have the exact same board and processor. What type of RAM are you using? I have 512 meg of PC133 Crucial CAS 2-2-2 RAM. Are you using Jumper Free Mode? I'm running at 7.5 X 134= 1005 MHZ (I backed off the OC). Check your Chip Configuration settings (Advanced) in the BIOS. Check the SDRAM Configuration. If your using good high quality CAS 2 PC133 RAM like Crucial or Mushkin you can set the BIOS to User Define and switch the CAS and RAS settings to 2T. If not then use SPD. Also which BIOS do you have? Version 1005A is the final (I believe it was released in June).

------------------
    Who were the beta testers for Preparations A through G?

mpiper

thanx for the suggestions pak! I will try them and post the results. I have 128 mb pc133 kingston memory, ane the latest bios.

------------------
    Murphy's Second Corollary
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Murphy's Law

[This message has been edited by mpiper (edited October 09, 2001).]

pakprotector

Kingston is excellent RAM. For some reason this is a problem with this particular board. Mine posted 750 the 1st time. I played around with settings for about 3 minutes and on the second post it came 1000. I've had it oc'ed to 1102½ (7.5 X 147) stone cold stable for 3 weeks. But I dropped back down to 1005 two weeks ago. The benchmark gains I was seeing just didn't seem to warrent the overclocking. Heck at 1005 it's running plenty good enough. Another important thing is to keep an eye on your temperature. Do not rely on the ASUS Probe Software. It reads 15°- 20° F high (7°-9° C). Use the MBM5 software instead.

------------------
    Who were the beta testers for Preparations A through G?

yps

Wink

yes.. mpiper, pak was right. i think it's about the bios setting. please try to look around for via kt133 faq for more information about the bios setting.. or just you may try the link below :
    http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/kt7faq.htm

one more thing, have you check the power supply? insufficient power could cause instability to run at 133fsb for that mobo.

------------------
    AMD Duron(r)700@1066MHz(133x8), Abit KT7E, Seitek 256MB SDRAM(CL2), GForce2MX/32MB @210/190, Seagate 20GB/ATA100/7200RPM, SB Live! Value, AOpen 50x CDROM, GlobalWin FOP38 @7.0 Volt.

kingtbone

I'm not sure how much that lik above will help you, if you are indeed using an Asus board. It is a great link for anyone else who is using an Abit KT* board though. If you've got an A7V133 try this one.

------------------
    Posts look pretty stupid without the signature, so here it is.

Darren Wilson

The KT7 FAQ is a good resource for any board using the VIA KT133/A chipsets not just for the Abit. 99% of the VIA based boards out there all suffer the same problems and thje solution is almost undeniably the same across the spectrum.

------------------
    I am my own Judge , Jury & Executioner. Although I am availabel for Weddings, Birthdays, Bahmitzvahs, etc,etc......