[RESOLVED] URGENT HELP NEEDED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] URGENT HELP NEEDED

JediMasta

Red face URGENT HELP NEEDED

I have my brother's system that is a p3 600 pc133 on a soyo board. This motherboard then gave out on him, complicated issue with the keyboard. So, my brother decided to purchase a new board, except the stores no longer carry slot 1 boards, so we upgraded to an AMD athlon 1.2ghz proc, here are the important specs on the newly built system:
    amd athlon 1.2ghz 266mhz frontside bus(retail box, not oem, with fan)
    256mb pc 133 dimm certified for AMD
    Iwill KK266 plus motherboard
    riva nvidia tnt 16mb gfx card
    linksys lne100tx 10/100 NIC
    AMD certified 300w power supply

After getting this thing going, configuring the multiplier and getting the frontside buss running correctly, everything worked great...until i told windows to reboot. or to shut down. or did a cold reset(ctrl-alt-del). when I do any of these things, the screen goes black and the monitor goes into pwrsave, the fans and pwr supply continue to run, but it just sits there, stalled or locked up.

does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening or a possible solution for this?

thanks in advance

futuretech

You dont mention which OS you are running.
    If W2K I have seen an open GL screen saver present this same problem cured by switching to a normal screen saver.
    If w98/ME an anti-virus checking floppy on shut down can cause this as well.

RoysG

Talking

HI.. I had the same trouble more than 5 times.. with different kind of Mobos but alway with Atlhon >1200 Mhz...

I just got a bigger PSU and the problem was gone... In my opinion all The Athlons bigger than 1200 Mhz cant simple work "fine" with a 300Watts PSU

I recommend you pick a nice Enermax 430 Watts and your problems will be gone.

------------------
    Is my 286 fast enought?

JediMasta

sorry, win98se. clean install, got the motherboard drivers installed ok, but it does this shutdown lockup thing on me.

i am on instant messeging if anyone has a possible solution...

ICQ - 105807663
    AIM - EldrianV

JediMasta

roysG, that would cause it to lock up at various times though, not JUST on shutdowns and restarts...it makes to reboot and then stops

RoysG

When I rebboted my PC (when I had a 3oowatts PSU) I had the same problems that you are having. I had to Power off the PC and wait for 5 secs. Then I restart without a problem. So I changed the PSU and now I can reboot my PC and It works fine. Make sure your PSU on the 5V has AT LEAST 30Amps.

------------------
    Is my 286 fast enought?

JediMasta

but when it powers down it locks during the sequence, so my prob is a bit different than yours...I will try swapping to a bigger pwr supply tomorrow, but i dont know how much it will help...

this is why i use intels, if this was a p3 i would be playing half-life right now

RoysG

jejeje But you would be playing at 30fps!!!

------------------
    Is my 286 fast enought?

[This message has been edited by RoysG (edited September 16, 2001).]

JediMasta

i play at 60-70fps on my p3 933 w/256 mb ram and a riva nvidia tnt2 m64

RoysG

With your new Athlon youll be playing at 130 with the same Video Card

------------------
    Is my 286 fast enought?

JediMasta

with the pos athlon that doesnt want to work right? i somehow doubt it...also, with my p3 933 i am running with plenty of power on a 300w...i was just told here on this forum i need a 430w for this damn athlon...pos...

Darren Wilson

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by JediMasta:
    with the pos athlon that doesnt want to work right? i somehow doubt it...also, with my p3 933 i am running with plenty of power on a 300w...i was just told here on this forum i need a 430w for this damn athlon...pos...</font>
    Who told you that you needed a 430W PSU???

The only Athlon systems that require such a high PSU as a standard are the Dual Athlon MP setups.

300W should be more than enough for what you have there (especially if it is on the AMD certified list for the 1.2Ghz CPU). I am running my 1Ghz T-Bird with a full deck of devices on a non-certified 300w PSU with no problems whatsoever!!! But as mentioned by another in a prior post, the amperage on the PSU lines is more than enough to power the system.

Also make sure in the BIOS that the Power Management for the button is set to 'Switch Off' and not 'Stand By' as this can cause similar problems.

------------------
    FINALLY, Rocco HAS COME BACK to Win-Driverssssss......
    Let the Boobies hit the floor

[This message has been edited by Darren Wilson (edited September 16, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Darren Wilson (edited September 16, 2001).]

JediMasta

the pwr management is switched off, still no luck. grrrr....this is really starting to annoy me...

if this keeps up, i am gonna fix it the old fashioned way...where is my hammer?

Darren Wilson

I didn't mean switch off the Power Management, what I meant was to check that the 'Soft Button' setting in the BIOS is set to 'Switch Off' or 'Power Down' and not to 'Suspend' or 'Stand By'

------------------
    FINALLY, Rocco HAS COME BACK to Win-Driverssssss......
    Let the Boobies hit the floor

JediMasta

it says

pwr-off mode by pwr-bttn [Instant-Off]

this is the closest i can come to what you are describing, there is no soft-button to shutdown instead of standby, i have checked all the options.