dead duron / KT7A?

Thread: dead duron / KT7A?

Unhappy dead duron / KT7A?

Okay, I wonder if anyone can maybe shed a little light on the possible cause of this little problem.

My bosses PC is a duron 800 on an abit kt7a, matrox 450 dual head, 512Mb crucial ram.

A couple of months back it started to become unstable, it would randomly lock up but not frequently enough to think there was a major problem.

Last night hte pc stopped working altogether.
    The power comes on, the cpu / mainboard fans start running, the hard drive spins up BUT the video does not post, neither does the board.

We removed the memory from the board which normally results in a repeated series of 3 'beeps' but it stayed completely silent.

We have tried powering up with nothing except a PCI graphics card attached, still the same. Tried powering up with a fan connected to all mainboard headers, fans worked, mainboard did not post.

I personally am edging towards a fried processor, however, the system is not and never has been overclocked and it has a rated heatsink/fan combo correctly mounted. Could it be a faulty voltage regulator on the mainboard? We are going to try a test tomorrow with a duron from my bosses second PC.

Any thoughts?
    What do you mean its all my fault?...

Just a suggestion but try replacing the power supply,these can cause intermittant instability problems becuse of failure to deliver correct voltages.

Smile

...and Archer has the corrct answer. Cheers for that. We put in a second PSU this morning and it worked. I'll push my boss towards a nice Enermax replacement.

cheers again.
    What do you mean its all my fault?...