[RESOLVED] Athlon problems

Thread: [RESOLVED] Athlon problems

Akira

Question Athlon problems

I recently bought one of them Athlon 600mhz with a BCM QS750, 750 chipset, motherboard. With it I have a V770 Ultra (32mb AGP), SB 64AWE, 128MB ram (regular SDRAM not PC100, 1 64 and 2 32's)

I am running WIN98SE, with no obvious problems. The only thing I am wondering is that why is it that this 600 dosn't seem to be running as fast as what I thought it would be. I had an AMD K6-2 300 before and this dosn't seem to run much faster. Im not sure if it is just because of the OS sucking up all my resources, but I doubt it is that. I have very little TSR's running so that cant be the case either.

Also I hear everywhere about patches for AGP, motherboards and other patches for those with AMD chips. Do I need these patches and where can I find them, and will they fix my problem? I would really appreciate any ideas, or areas to check, that can help me to speed up my system and make it perform as a 600mhz Athlon should perform.

Thank you
    Jeff

Darren Wilson

a system will not run the Operating system any faster than the OS will allow it to. AMD chips have always been very good at opeing up applications and OS windows in the past ( although I hate to say it ,faster than the Intel counterpart ). The way to test that the Athlon is performing correctly is to run some benchmarks such as a Quake 2 timedemo on a large map such as Crucher.dm2. If you need any help running the demos please repost or e-mail me.

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

Akira

Question

I have seen other systems open stuff right up. Almost instantaneous. But my system dosnt do that. It seems like somthing isnt quite working up to snuff.
    but where would I find them demos to?

kourgath

for one te athlon is designed for use with 100mhz memory, i'm surprised the dimms you have worked, for 2 hdd speed seems to make a big difference in windows opeation , at least on my athlon 700 it does

awt586

This might get lengthy...
    1-why the 600 not the 650? Everyone knows the Mainboard Speeds are doubled on the 650/700. This is the Key to EVERYTHING.
    2-Not running the PC100 Mem? I'm amazed it works at all just like kourgath stated.
    3-The OS does play a key role. Wait till you have 4-7 apps open same time and then you tell me you can't tell the difference.
    4-Have you tried a completely new system load from scratch? or did you just take the HD from the old system and put it in the new? This can be part of the prob if you did do this.

I just got the AMD Athlon 650Mhz on a Microstar Board, 160Mb RAM (PC100),Ricoh CDRW, 50x CDROM, Viper V770 ultra AGP, Hauppauge Capture Card, Linksys 10/100 Nic, Quantum Fireballs 3.2& 4.0 HD's, SB Live!, US Robotics Modem, Dual Boot 98/NT4.0.

The speed of the OS's is not much different but watch out when you multitask. THEN you see that power chip really start to work. I normally have these apps open; ICQ99b, Netscape, Micrographics Picture Publisher 7.0, NetObjects Fusion4.0, NetMeeting 2.11, Windows Explorer transfering files at times on a LAN at the house. My Older AMD System performed flawlessly but did start to bog down with all this. Now I zip all over the place no issues just like a fresh boot.

If you are experiencing a real noticeable diff in the operation from the older system, You might just have yourself a conflict somewhere. I have always found that changing the PlugnPlay OS Installed option in your BIOS to "NO" makes 95/98 run better.

Good luck and feel fre to ask for more help.

------------------

ok just get Pc100 ram and that should work.
    The 600 runs on the same speed as the 650/700 so I don't know what awt586 is talking about.

Akira

yeah I plan to get pc100 ram when the prices go down. Right now ram prices are just way to much.

awt586

Wink

jman - the AMD ATHLON 650 and 700 chips start the begining of the 200mhz Motherboard clock speeds.